The Connection Runners

Back to the Grind

It's been a little over a week since the tri, and lately it's been hard to do much more than walk up and down stairs and take care of menial household chores. Last week, I managed to get in only a 20-minute swim and 3-mile run (one that I walked the majority of anyhow.) Plus, one of my best friends got married this past weekend, and of course I couldn't get any work out time in then (well, I could have, but being lazy is one of the perks of being average.)

Since I spent the majority of yesterday either in the car, eating Nacho Cheese Fritos, or shopping at Birch Run, I thought today might be the day to get back to the grind and get on with training. In the next few months, I plan on completing these events:
-Fenton 15k road race
-Lansing sprint tri
-The Crim 10 mile road race
-Tawas Olympic distance tri
-Detroit half marathon

So, needless to say, I need to step it up. After sleeping in and dillying around the house all morning, I finally headed out for a 4-mile run at noon.

85 degree weather + bright sunshine + 4-mile slightly hilly run = EPIC FAIL. Kind of.
The first two miles actually felt fine, but when I hit a huge uphill at exactly mile 2, I thought I was going to pass out. The nice thing about running out and back, though, is that once you're out, the only way to get back is to run (or at least hoof it down Hines.) So I did.

And I made it. Soggy with sweat and cramping up from dehydration, but I made it. And the funny thing is that as soon as I was done, I wanted to go right back out and do 4 more. Sometimes, getting back into the grind sucks, but the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it is so worth it.

Today's Point Two: "Airplanes" by B.o.B featuring the girl from Paramore. I'm don't usually promote Top 40 crap, but this song has a good beat, solid production, and a catchy hook. B.o.B hails from Georgia, and he's actually a solid rapper. None of that auto-tune crap, either - just an upbeat tune with motivating lyrics, and the cameo from Eminem doesn't hurt either.