The Connection Runners

So very therapeutic

So lately I've been feeling a little stressed. We have so many lifestyle/job/family changes going on that its hard not to feel overwhelmed. Along with that I've been dealing with the injury and nerve issues.

Tired of hearing me whine?

Me too!

So, whats my number one tip to deal with stress? Exercise!

I'm happy to say I've been able to get in some miles lately. The shot the doctor gave me for the nerves in my foot seemed to help a bit. Yippeee for semi-pain free running!

I just realized that MOST of my miles lately have been hillwork.

Well, here in flat as a pancake Florida, its actually BRIDGE work. Instead of hills I run the inter coastal waterway bridges. I would say that over 80% of my running miles in the past few weeks have been ran on a bridge. This bridge, to be exact:

That picture probably doesn't show the elevation well (you cant quite see the base of the bridge), but its a lovely shot!

Anyway, as I was running it Saturday night (because clearly I have no life), I got to thinking about why I loved to run this particular route.

Gorgeous views is the obvious answer. We usually run it at sunset, and theres nothing better than watching the sun set over the water. Very often we can see dolphins playing in the water as we run so that scores bonus points. And all the boats/birds/dolphins keep my son occupied. All of those are great reasons, but it goes deeper than that.

I feel free when I'm running the bridge.

As most of you know, I've spent most of this year dealing with an injury. Sometimes I feel like my body is fighting against me and it can be disheartening.

But on the bridge... .man... .on that bridge... .my body is amazing. Right away I'm faced with a challenge and there's nowhere to go but up. The summit looms above me and I just lean into it and just GO. When I get to the top I'm rewarded with spectacular panoramic views.

But the reward goes far beyond the view, because once I make it to the top, I'm given the chance to fly!

Yes, fly. The descent is steep and there's no better feeling in the world than running downhill. I don't have to THINK about running, I just RUN! And run, and run. The wind whips through my hair, I can taste the sea salt in the air, and I am grinning like an idiot.

I AM FREE.

I can not even begin to describe the feeling of euphoria I get on that downhill part, but the run doesn't end there. Reaching the bottom is great, but that's only half the battle.

Its time to head back up and I revel in the fact that my body is up for the challenge. Once again I just lean into that hill, plow forward and start the process over again.

When its all over I'm rewarded with the knowledge that while my body may still be healing, it is capable of great things.

(obligatory sweaty post-run pic)

As cheesy as it sounds, Running is truly therapeutic for me.

Whats your therapy?

(High five to Syl who completed her first 1/2 marathon. Head over and show her some love, she is one awesome gal.)

Win some great hair accessories by clicking HERE.