The Connection Runners

Did I succeed? alternately titled: check out my guns

Six weeks ago I wrote a post,(seen here), talking about my ankle fracture and how it meant 6 weeks of no running. After getting over my initial disappointment I decided this was the perfect opportunity to get in some much needed strength training. In order to keep my sanity, I gave myself a new goal: I vowed to get Michelle Obama arms.

So, did I meet my goal? Here are my new guns:

I'm pretty happy with my progress. I had no definition before, and now I can see actual MUSCLE. Amazing. I'm so happy that this ankle injury forced me to face my nemesis. I had always avoided strength training at all costs, but now I happily embrace it.

So... what did I do to get those muscles? Well, I didn't have a set plan I followed each day. Since the ankle injury kept me sitting on the couch a lot I made sure to put that time to good use. I used a few basic pieces of equipment:

-an exercise ball

-a 6 pound medicine ball

-5 pound hand weights

-10 pound kettle bell (from KettleWorx)

Push ups:

Since I couldn't do regular push ups, I modified by using the exercise ball.

I am now proud to say I can skip the ball and do them full form, ON ONE LEG. :)

Playing ball:

In the evenings when my husband would get home we would spend time throwing the medicine ball back and forth to each other. Doing it while sitting on the exercise ball ensured that I kept my core engaged as well. That meant I worked those muscles along with my arms.

(outfit by Oiselle Running)

Hand weights:

I did bicep curls, lateral raises, military press and triceps kick backs with the 5 pound hand weights. Eventually I started using the 10 pound kettle bell (seen in the first pic). I also did some triceps dips (modified) off our living room table. :)

I haven't given you specific sets and reps because I don't feel I'm qualified to give you advice. I am by no means a professional.

If there's one thing I have learned from this experience is that there's no reason to fear strength training. A few basic moves with some inexpensive equipment go a long way!

Oh big news: I am now out of the cast! Yippeeee!!! Unfortunately I'm still not released to run. I was given orders for physical therapy 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks. I'm hoping to start that next week, but in the mean time... .SWIMMING POOL HERE I COME!

Sorry for the super dark "after" picture, hopefully you can still see those muscles. :)

Don't forget to enter both of my giveaways.

I'll be in the pool this weekend, what are your plans?