The Connection Runners

If no one sees you eat it, do the calories count?

I think this is something that a lot of people, including myself, struggle with.

Yesterday I was at my parents house alone with my 2 year old son. He wanted a piece of cake and I had the internal struggle going on about whether or not I should have one.

I've been pretty consistent with my eating since I have been on this trip. I think having family around that knows I'm working on a lifestyle change has helped keep me on track. Well, yesterday they weren't around.

I went ahead and ate a piece of cake. Now, it was a small piece and it was a "low calorie" cake (the diet 7up one) but its something that I wouldn't ordinarily have.

I guess our society is geared around social eating in general, so when it's not in a social setting it doesn't "count".

Well, it DOES "COUNT". Whether anyone saw me eat the cake or not, my body still had that energy (calories) to burn off.

Luckily, I follow a "diet" of moderation so I don't have to feel guilty about cake occasionally. It was ok for me to have that one piece because the rest of my day I ate pretty healthy. I compensated the extra calories with a run.

I have lost just over 104 pounds so far and I think a huge part of my success is that I don't deprive myself of the foods I enjoy. I work them into my day.

Anyone else following a "diet of moderation"? Or are you more successful if you just say "no" to your weaknesses?