The Connection Runners

Wed-diversary Weekend

One year ago on July 16th,

I married my best friend, partner in crime, soulmate.

When I met him I had no intention of entering a relationship. I was six months from college graduation and a new life as a medical student in Pittsburgh.

Needless to say, things didn't work out the way I'd planned.

And for once in my life, I'm so glad they didn't :).

This weekend the hubs and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary. Friday night we had a low key dinner and then went out on the town for a fancy drink.

Saturday we hung out at home all day as anniversary dinner anticipation set in. All I knew was that we had reservations for 9:00 pm and hubs was wearing a suit. Needless to say I was excited. As we (finally!) headed to the surprise destination, I realized where we were going- up the Duquesne Incline- where he proposed on the observation deck. The Incline is a century-old cable car that scales the hill to the Mt. Washington area of Pittsburgh. When you reach the top you can see a spectacular view of the entire city of Pittsburgh.

View from the observation deck

Standing where he proposed

Dinner was at Monterey Bay Fish Grotto, one of the most epic restaurants I've ever been to. It sits on the top of Mount Washington so you can see all of Pittsburgh. Gorg.
Before dinner we started with a toast, we received a bottle of Dom Perignon for our wedding last year and finally found a time to pop it!

We started with some fresh bread and the sampler platter, which was shrimp, Monterey Bay's famous crabcake, and a skewer with tuna, salmon, and swordfish.

The crabcake melted in your mouth, and every bite of fish was extraordinary. I wish we could've tried more! (But believe me, there was plenty more to come).
I decided to try the date salad- which came with goat cheese stuffed dates (be still my heart), pistachios, mandarin oranges, and a tangy mandarin dressing.

I wanted to put the stuffed dates in my purse but I ate them too fast :).
For the main course I got salmon with a cranberry and brown sugar glaze. It was perfect.
h

Hubs got parmesan crusted swordfish. Best. Fish. EVER.

When the waitress asked if we wanted Lobster Mac n' Cheese as a side, we couldn't say no.

I'm really, really (really) glad we didn't.
The waitress informed us that dessert was on the house--so although we had absolutely zero room for another crumb, we managed to tackle this guy...

Carrot cake with caramel ice cream. Somehow it disappeared...

The night was wonderful. It was so nice to go back to where it all started, and hubs even suggested we come back here for our anniversary yearly if we stay in Pittsburgh for residency. I really hope that happens :-P.

Sunday we watched the Women's World Cup Finals together, which certainly gave me loads of palpitations and near-heart attacks. So sad we lost :(. I hate PKs.

Sunday night we went to see the epic conclusion of Harry Potter 7 in 3D.

I won't give anything away but I LOVEEDDD ITTT. I'm so sad the series is over, I might just have to go back and read all the books again. If I ever have time ;).

So that's it for tonight. Let's leave off with some questions..

What did you do this weekend?

Seen Harry Potter yet?

Thoughts on the WWC Final?

Do you have an anniversary tradition?