The Connection Runners

Spandex v. 3,000 lbs of metal

I ran across an article today that made me reflect on the rage that motorists have toward cyclists (skip to the bottom if you don't want my thoughts and just want the article), and here's what I have to say about it.

In addition to running, I also bike. And yes. I wear spandex. If I didn't think there were good reasons for doing so, I wouldn't. But I think there are good reasons, so I do. Biking is great because you can get a good work out and can cover a lot of ground without the impact of running. I might be able to get a quicker work out by running, but I don't get to see as much as when I'm on the bike. There are also somethings about biking that you cannot replicate when running: bombing down a hill (or mountain) at 45 mph.

When I'm out on the road there is nothing more disrupting to a nice peaceful ride than catching attitude from someone in a car. As a cyclist, I'm not asking for special attention or consideration from any motorist. I'm just asking them to be safe. Thankfully, I've only had one direct confrontation with a rude driver and I've never experienced the worst of what I've heard is out there (throwing objects out the window, etc.).

Now, as a motorist (I do own a car, and I do use it on occasion) I understand some reasons why cyclists are hated. And here's what I came up with:

(1) It is really annoying that some cyclists don't obey the traffic laws. However, the fact that some cyclists don't follow the rules is far more annoying as a cyclist. For all you non-cyclist, motorists out there, you should know that when cyclists don't obey the traffic laws it irritates other cyclists to no end. Occasionally, I see a cyclist do something incredibly dangerous and stupid, and then I want to yell out: "HEY, ASSHOLE! YOU'RE MAKING US LOOK BAD! not to mention you almost got yourself dead." But then again, not all cyclists break the rules. There are a great number of us who realize that getting home safely is our #1 priority. Even if I do have a right of way, I'd rather be safe and get home than dead and right.

(2) Cyclists seem to act so morally superior to non-cyclists. This one is true, BUT it is not categorically true. There are some people who ride because they hate cars - they think they're morally superior. Who are we to say they aren't? Maybe they really are morally superior people. But chances are they aren't morally superior because they ride a bike to work or whatever. There are many of us (I would say the majority of cyclists) who do not see cycling as intrinsically deserving moral consideration. Once again, those cyclists who think they're better than everyone else are just giving cycling a bad name. I'm sure you know a lawyer, or doctor, or teacher who thinks they're morally superior just because of what they do too. Are they?

That being said, if you get on a bike and ride it to work or school, you probably will feel morally superior because you're getting exercise and you're not killing the earth. You might say to yourself, "look at all those chumps, burning up fossil fuels, polluting the earth..." Good for you. Just don't act like you god's gift to the world because you ride a bike. I'm sure you drive and I'm sure that those people are driving have perfectly good reasons for doing so.

(3) Spandex. All non-cyclists (and non-jazzercise-ers...?) think spandex is not cool. It probably isn't, but who cares? If you see someone wearing a pair of shoes you don't like, or a cut of suit that is different from your own, do you hold a grudge against them? If you do, it probably says something more about you than it does against them. (Does MY spandex make you uncomfortable??) The spandex outfits have purposes: they help wick away moisture in addition to reducing chaffing. Yea, I said "chaffing." If you don't believe me, grab a pair of jean shorts and push the pedals for 50 miles. It doesn't matter how comfortable your seat is, you won't be able to sit comfortably for the next week.

(4) The elitist attitude that surrounds cyclists. This one is annoying, but it pervades all sports. Anyone that plays one sport kinda looks down on other sports. However, it does seem particularly bad in some sports rather than others: golf and skiing come to mind. What is it that these have in common with cycling? They're perceived as sports for the rich. I know we don't like to talk about classism, but it's out there. There are many people who view cyclists as snobs of the first degree. Cyclists have probably earned some of this reputation too. After all, if you sit down with a group of cyclists and ask them how much their bikes cost, you'll probably fall right off that chair. But this isn't true of everyone. Like some rich people take up golf because they think that's what they should do, some people take up cycling because that's what they think they should do. Those people aren't *cyclists* - they're rich people who cycle. If someone does have a nice bike, ask them how much their car costs. Around me, it isn't too uncommon to meet people who bikes are worth several times the amount of their cars. This is because they love to bike and they sacrifice other comforts (such as a new car) for their passions. And for others, the bike makes no difference at all. For them the most important thing is getting out, getting some exercise, maybe discovering some place they'd never been to before, or some other reasons. Some people just want to be out in the open.

I'm sure there are many other reasons that motorists hate cyclists - "use the sidewalk," "roads are made for cars," and that sort of thing - but the most important thing is that we're safe. When I'm in my car and some cyclist does something asinine, I get pissed. I think everyone does. But never do anything do hurt a cyclist - they may be wearing spandex, but they're people too! And if nothing else, remember this:

The only thing cyclists have as protection is spandex (and if they have a modicum of intelligence, a helmet, which is made of foam and plastic). If you're in your car, you probably have anti-lock breaks, air bags, seat belts, and a host of other features, including a several thousand pound metal cage that was designed to keep you safe.

So don't be like this guy: he didn't like how some cyclists were acting, so he came to a quick stop in front of them. They didn't get too injured (and thankfully no one died), but he did get 5 years. Just remember to take a deep breath, relax, be glad that they're enjoying their ride, and hope they make it home safe. Then when you get home, go for a ride and hope that whoever is behind that several thousand pound mass of moving metal is being as safe as you were.