The Connection Runners

A New Kind of Training

A few days ago, this packet arrived in my mailbox.

Normally, I'd rip into such a piece of mail with a fury, read every word, and perhaps even take detailed notes on the very important information it offered.

Instead, extracting it from a stack of junk mail, I tossed it on the dining room table where it laid like an orphaned puppy dog, tear-filled eyes, shaggy coat and all.

Like an owner leaving said puppy at the local Humane Society in hopes it would find a new home, I left the Chicago Marathon participant guide to rest on the table. I didn't want to tear through it with a frenzy because looking at it makes me sad, sad that I won't be toeing that start line in a mere 20 days.

The same can be said for Twitter lately. Each weekend, my thumbs have quickly scrolled through the endless stream of Tweets from friends putting in double digit miles, achieving PRs, and preparing race day gear. While I absolutely support every runner out there, a small somewhat large piece of me is feeling resentful that I'm not able to do the same.

Don't get me wrong - I'm overjoyed that I'm pregnant. And I do still run. My 10-mile and 10k races this summer are proof of that.

I'm just missing a good training schedule right now. Call me crazy, but I could totally go for a nice long 16-miler on one of these lovely fall Saturday mornings. I might even take you up on mile repeats if I could handle my old 8:15 speedwork pace.

But instead of sucking down G2 and planning my long run route, I'm focusing my attention on a new training plan. Much like my marathon training plans, it will run at least 12-16 weeks; however, the workouts are much, much different.

Nights and weekends are spent cleaning up the future nursery and writing up guest lists for baby showers.

Hours are devoted to researching, choosing, and ordering the right stroller...

(Baby Jogger City Mini)

... and the perfect modern, yet affordable crib with a non-toxic finish:

(Baby Mod Modena 2-in-1 crib from Walmart... yes, Walmart.)

LBA says thanks for her early "birthday" gifts, Grandma Lois.

Nursery bedding is high on the priorities list right now, so websites have been browsed and fabric stores visited.

Another LBA thank you goes to Nana Judi for buying and sewing the fabric into what will soon become a blanket and crib skirt.

Books are being read: Be Prepared by Gary Greenberg for him, and the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy for her.

And we're "waste" deep in cloth diaper research (yes, pun intended because I'm a dork and more on CDing in a future post). My lovely friend Nicole, who writes a hilarious momma blog, runs a website, goes to law school, and oh yeah, just had Baby Number Two, sent me the most adorable sample bumGenius diaper to get acquainted with.

So while runners, including my husband, complete their 20-mile long run in anticipation of fall marathons, I hang out with LBA. Sometimes we go for a walk or bring water to Kevin on his route. Sometimes we run a few slow miles.

It's hard to be the one on the bench this year, but I know that once this training plan is finished, I'll start running seriously again. And then I'll be able to call myself a Momma Who Runs.

And that's cooler than any race medal.

What else are you "training" for right now? New job? School? Family changes?