The Connection Runners

Donut vs. Spare Tire

Wohohooo you know what day it is...

So last week my attending (higher up, big boss, team leader) brought in Dunkin Donuts munchkins for the team on Friday.

I honestly could probably go the rest of my life without eating a Dunkin Donuts... er, donut, but I cannot resist the cute, bite sized munchkin. Even if you eat 5 they can't possibly add up to a full donut, right? Right??

This week we had a different attending (also awesome) and I didn't hear any promises of Friday donuts. So I set out to prophylactically bring my own "donut" treats in case a box magically appeared. It didn't. Luckily I took a crack at my own "healthier" munchkins. Please try your best to ignore the fact that they in no way resemble DD Munchkins ;-)

Chocolate Banana Donut Holes

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

pinch salt

1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

2 TBSP brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar (I used splenda granulated)

2-3 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp xanthan gum

2 ripe bananas, mashed

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp butter extract (optional)

1 serving (~4 oz) jello chocolate pudding (I used the dessert "whipped" dark chocolate Jello)- yogurt would probably work too.

1 egg (I used 1 liquid egg white)

2-4 TBSP milk (I used light coconut milk)- add if mix is a little dry

1 TBSP irish cream ( I used Bailey's coffee creamer irish cream)- optional

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease baking sheet.

2. Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, oats, sugars, cocoa powder) in a large bowl.

3. Mash bananas in a separate bowl. Add extracts, pudding, egg, creamer and mix until well combined.

4. Pour wet into dry, mix by hand, w/ a spoon, or hand mixer.

5. Add milk by the TBSP if mix is dry.

6. Mold dough into doughnut hole or cookie shapes.

7. Optional: roll the balls in Splenda/granulated sugar to coat.

8. Bake at 350F for 13-15 mins.

Pseudo-donut success! Everyone raved about how they were delicious, filling, and didn't make anyone feel like crap an hour later (can't be dealing with a sugar crash on morning rounds, now! We walk around the hospital floor for 3 hours and you have to be on top of things).

There you go--try these donut (holes) and avoid that spare tire ;). Cheese-tastic pun of the day. I'm full of them, folks.

Now I'm off to 1/2 price pizzas w/ some friends--wishing it wasn't pouring down rain but luckily it's right down the street so I don't have wield an umbrella for too long.

Happy Friday!

Tomorrow is the LAST DAY to enter the Chocomize Giveaway. Just sayin'.