The Connection Runners

The Great Meat Debate

So, last night was somewhat of a bummer because Pitt lost by 1 pt to Butler. Really? At this point (and pretty much since day 1 of the tournament) my bracket for hubby's work pool is shot to all hell. Granted, I know next to nothing about basketball (let alone the college variety)- but who doesn't like winning? Besides Charlie Sheen, of course.

Shots from last night...

We still managed to have a good time despite the (minor) disappointment.
This morning afternoon hubby and I woke up to another glorious sunny day. We hightailed it to Juice Box Cafe for some smoothies and brunch.

Hubby wore his Sunday best..

(Don't ask me why he posed like a little kid in a pre-school picture)
And I showcased my post-mortem pale legs wore another dress.

I got the vegan, GF waffles (obsessed) w/ raspberry and banana, and a Rock Star smoothie (they were out of blueberries and pineapple- so it ended up being strawberry, mango, coconut, flax, banana, OJ).

I waited a little to digest and then headed out on a great 9 miler. I'm really happy that I've been able to up my mileage this month- things are looking up for the half-marathon in May :-).
After the run we went for the new Sunday ritual- Whole Foods Salad Bar and Starbucks. I love days that seem to revolve around delicious, healthy food and caffeine!

spinach and romaine base, cukes, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, black beans, lentils, lemon cappellini, ranch sweet potatoes, grilled chicken, nooch. And a cinnamon dolce latte from Sbux. Perf.

Something I've been thinking about recently is how I've been leaning heavily towards meat in the past month or so. I went about a year eating meat maybe 1-2x a month, and in the past few weeks it's been salmon, chicken, turkey, repeat. To be honest, I've toyed with vegetarianism for years now but have never really pulled the trigger. And I can't think of any real reasons why I'd want to give up meat for good.
Some reasons I'm leaning towards meat recently:
1. It fits with intuitive eating (yes I'm still trying to do this!)
2. It's high in protein (which is necessary for muscle repair and training)
3. There aren't too many restaurants I can agree on with the hubs/friends/family that have great veggie options
4. I ate meat growing up for the most part and am doing just fine
5. It tastes good.

The reasons I leaned away from meat in the past--
1. I have no idea how to prepare it
2. It's pricey
3. I thought going meatless was healthier

I think I've wanted to be a vegetarian because it seemed cool to have the label. Sad, I know. I have no religious or moral reasons why I should give up meat entirely. I haven't really eaten red meat in years-- this I did for my health. But grilled chicken, lean turkey, and omega-packed salmon? I can't entirely convince myself that these things are harmful to my health. I'm aware of the animal rights debate and completely understand why vegetarians/vegans choose to go meatless, but I'm not convinced this dietary restriction is for me. I've already spent plenty of time in the past restricting certain foods, no use in becoming obsessive or guilty about eating a piece of chicken.

What are your thoughts for/against eating meat?