The Connection Runners

Everyone Loves a Bargain

It's no secret that this girl lives for a bargain.

I think this quality is imperative when you're a living-on-loans, pauper's budget student like me (who also happens to love shopping).

Backing up a bit--I spent the day in the operating room, doing ENT-like procedures. Maybe threw in a stitch or two ;-). Best thing about ENT- they are efficient. In and out, 7 a- 3 p. Glorious.

You know what else is glorious? There happens to be a pretty sizable shopping center about 400 ft proximal to the hospital. Did I mention it's glorious?

Today I restrained myself and only hit up one store-- TJ Maxx.

Sigh. Love.

Some cool (cheap) finds:

Running zip-up ($12.99), athletic socks ($6), gym bag ($12). Made me want to work out so bad!

Please ignore my OR bangs- they were stuffed under an itchy scrub cap all day. Surgeons cannot possibly have great hair.

Super cute serving tray (complete with Two Bite Cookies)

Awesome baking pan- no more awkwardly shaped baked goods!

Of course I had to try it out...
Tropical Pineapple Oat Squares
Lightly sweetened, little added sugar, and remniscent of spring (which I'm praying for)
Recipe lightly based on OSG Apple Pie Muffins

Ingredients:
Dry:
1 1/4 cup oat flour (or WW, etc)
1 cup rolled oats
1/8 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Wet:
1/3 cup crushed pineapple (drained- reserve a tbsp juice)
1 flax egg (1 TBSP flaxseed meal, 3 TBSP water)
1/4 cup soymilk
1 ripe banana, mashed
3 TBSP sugar/splenda
1/4 tsp banana extract
1/2 tsp orange extract

Crumble:
1/3 cup crushed pineapple
1 TBSP earth balance (or butter)
1 TBSP brown sugar
3 TBSP rolled oats

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix flax egg and set aside. Spray baking pan/awesome square pan.
2. Pour wet into large bowl, dry into small. Mix wet into dry until thoroughly combined.
3. Empty batter into tins/pan. Mix crumble- pour pineapple into small bowl, cut in butter and brown sugar, mix well.
4. Scoop ~2 tsp-1 TBSP of crumble onto each square.
5. Bake at 350 F for 14-15 mins.

(The plate's from TJs too- 2.99!)

Today's workout was pretty awesome! I did some circuits at the gym a la Jillian's 6 wk 6 pack, and then banged out 5 miles, alternating 2 minute jog w/ 1 minute sprints. Also got the hubs to hit the gym with me- which is always a bonus :-).

What cheap finds have you purchased recently?
Do you love TJ Maxx as much as I do?