The Connection Runners

Chomp, Chomp... Done

So I'm entirely convinced that my body will shut down (and I will probably faint/fall/seize) if I don't eat every 2-4 hours.

(You do NOT want to see me this way).

This mentality is a FAIL in the medicine world. Hunger is weakness, type A personalities are running this show, you know...

Well this girl won't go down without a fight, so here are some ideas for daytime "mini-meals" to get you through, whether at the office, in the hospital, in clinic, or any other on-the-go lifestyle.

Luckily, I was able to eat breakfast during lecture this morning, so I had greek yogurt and Barbara's Shredded Oats<--first time I tried these-love them!.

However, on mornings when I'm running out the door, I always grab 1-2 healthy baked goods (oat+nut bars, coconut PB squares, etc) w/ a side of fruit, and/or 2 morningstar sausage links.

;

Other quick grab breakfasts: hardboiled eggs (I'll get TJ's brand or Eggland's Best pre-cooked), toast w/ PB, fruit (banana, apple), pre-bagged cereal, larabars/protein bars, english muffin, etc. I'm huge about breakfast baked goods- so I always have plenty on hand ;-).

I think I've made it pretty clear that I live on nutrition bars. Here's my current stash- these really are my saving grace to prevent that mid-morning or mid-afternoon crash.

My lunch today- packed in my fave lunchbox. All portable.

The sandwich thins are great because they're, well, thin. I wrapped this sandwich in aluminum foil and snuck it into my white coat pocket around noon. I'm not above sneaking food in the bathroom (try medical school- this will happen to you) , but that wasn't necessary today. These mini fuji apples are like, 4-bite wonders. And the Thai-Lime-Chili Cashews (from TJ's)- so spicy and flavorful (and packed in my favorite mini tupperware) . If you want to go portable- these mini snack tupperware are SO key. I also had a small tupperware w/ carrot sticks and cucumber spears, which I munched on throughout the day. Yes, I have a child's lunchbox. And you bet I have an ice pack too! (not as cool as the apple one I had in grade school, but it'll do).

Another idea for a quick bite during the day? Maybe that 4 pm energy dive?
2 Bite Quick Cookies

Sunflower seeds, pecans, oats, fiber and protein-rich flour, dried cranberries, nut butter, no added
sugar. Molded into mini bites for a quick pick me up! Minified and adapted
from here.

Ingredients:
Dry:
1 cup quick oats
1/3 cup peanut flour
1/3 cup oat flour
(can use 2/3 cup other flour- WW, spelt, etc)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
3 TBSP shredded coconut
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 TBSP dark choc chips
2 TBSP butterscotch chips
2-3 TBSP sunflower seeds
2 TBSP chopped pecans

Wet :
1/3 cup sugar free maple syrup
1/3 cup flaxseed meal
1/8 cup nut butter (obv Nutella)
2 TBSP oil (or applesauce)
1/2 tsp coconut extract (optional)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease baking sheet.
2. You know the drill- dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in the another. Pour wet into dry, mix til well combined.
3. Mold into small (~1 TBSP) cookie shapes. (It's kind of difficult due to the oaty texture, but your stomach doesn't really care if the food is pretty, now does it?)
4. Bake at 350 F for 12-13 mins.

Other in-the-pocket ideas? Make your own trail mix (nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, etc), fruit leather, dates, apricots...

What are your favorite snacks on-the-go?