The Connection Runners

Broken Records Are Good Sometimes

Why do you run, Megan?
What's so great about running, anyway?
How can you stand just running for hours upon hours?

Months ago, I posted an entry that sought to explain why I run. Jumping on the Way Back Time Machine, I traveled all the way back to my days as a mediocre midfielder and social butterfly runner to demonstrate that running's just always kind of... been there. It's easy. Just put your shoes on, and get out the door. The road is always waiting.

But there's more to it than just that. Running is more than just a hobby, more than just a part-time gig. It's the one thing I can count on to tell me just how far I've come and where I have yet to go.

And the best moments in running happen when you realize that you've come a long, long way, baby. (oops, was that an ad for Virginia Slims?) They happen when the sweat drips heavy into your eyes, when your chest strains hard, heart beating like thunder, and when you dig deep for the very last ounce of effort buried deep in your quads and in your soul.

I had a Best Moment in Running this weekend when I not only broke my 5k PR, I shattered it by a minute and a half.

114/360 Overall
2/18 Age Group Finish

This is why I run - to keep proving to myself that I can push the limits, that I can keep improving. Call me cheesy, cliched, Gordon Bombay in The Mighty Ducks, but some things really aren't impossible. You've just got to get out there and see what you're made of.

::quack, quack, quack, quack, quack... .!::