The Connection Runners

Let Them Eat (Bundt) Cake

Well friends, I (almost) did it. Today was my last day in the hospital on internal medicine!

Just one freakishly hard test to go before it's totally finished. Then this weekend is one of my favorite events: Black Bag Ball. Aka medical school prom.

First Year

Second Year
I'm especially excited because this year it's at the aquarium. How cool is that?

Moving on..to celebrate my victorious (ahem..I mean finishing with my dignity intact) last day of IM, I baked a cake. And, being fancy schmancy and all, it was a bundt cake. Yea, never made one of those before--but this time "fly by the seat of your pants" served me well :-).
Chocolate Banana Butterscotch Bundt Cake w/ Nutella Glaze
Oh no I didn't.
(Oh yes, I did).
Pretty drastically modified from Baking Bites


Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/8 cup brown sugar (splenda blend)
1/4 cup splenda baking blend (or sugar)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 ripe bananas
3 TBSP canola oil
1 cup soymilk (I used unsweetened)
1/8 cup maple syrup
1 TBSP vanilla agave (I'm out of vanilla)
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
Optional mix ins- 1/4 cup coconut flakes, 3 TBSP butterscotch chips
Glaze: 3 TBSP nutella, 1/4 cup milk
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease bundt pan.
2. Mix dry ingredients into a large bowl (flour, salt, sugars, flax, cocoa powder)
3. Mash bananas (can leave chunky) in a medium bowl. Mix in milk, syrup, apple cider vinegar, oil.
4. Pour wet into dry, mix until well combined (batter should be moist, but not runny).
5. Mix in coconut, butterscotch, or whatever nuts/chips/seeds you please.
6. Pour batter into bundt pan. Bake at 350 F for 45-50 mins. Mine was done in 45- done when toothpick comes out clean.
7. Mix glaze- nutella + milk, mixed up, microwaved for 20 secs. Brush on with a basting brush. Sprinkle w/ splenda baking blend, cane sugar, coconut, etc.

It's like a big, delicious OOC donut. I'm so happy that I finally broke in my bundt pan- I see a lot of experimentation in the future...

Maybe with this guy as my inspiration? I'm thinking pineapple, coconut, orange...

But for now, back to studying.

(seriously go make this bundt cake now. I highly recommend spending the $10 for the pan--Marshall's always serves me well).