The Connection Runners

How I Beat (or Succumb to) Low Motivation, Chocolate Covered Strawberry Protein Smoothie, Choco Berry Granola

Today I just wasn't feeling "it." It's Monday, I'm tired, and my butt did not feel like leaving the house to go to the gym. What to do?

Well...
Sometimes I cut my losses and take a night off. But today I thought about my options- I have a late night function tomorrow, I have a wedding to go to this weekend for which I'll be wearing a sleeveless dress, and I'm not sure what kind of exercise facilities there will be at the hotel this weekend. Gotta get my exercise in while I can! So I compromised with myself- half hour of exercise and I'd be happy. Here's what I did:

SELF Chest Workout
and
SELF Lower Body Workout

Mixed with some weighted punches and pilates abs exercises. I broke a sweat, I felt more awake, and I moved on.
For dinner I also wasn't feeling it. I decided to whip up an old favorite- the

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Protein Smoothie:
This smoothie does have a secret ingredient- spinach! I did not feel like making a salad for dinner, so sneaking some greens into my smoothie was the best it was going to get.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped spinach (I used frozen)
3/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
1/4 cup kefir
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
1 packet Amazing Grass chocolate Green Superfood
1 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 TBSP natural peanut butter

The color is not delectable- but the taste sure is. I topped it with some homemade..

Choco-Berry Granola:
This is very similar to the recipe I posted last week- I've decided to make a new batch each week to eat for breakfast and snacks. I acquired some blueberry agave nectar at TJ Maxx yesterday, and subbed in amaranth seeds (another protein packed grain) for quinoa. I left out the vanilla cuz I didn't have it, and also omitted peanut flour and jam.

Ingredients:
3 cups thick cut rolled oats
1/2 cup unsalted cashew pieces
1/4 cup unsalted almonds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup amaranth seeds

1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 TBSP cocoa powder
1/4 cup pumpkin

1 TBSP blackstrap molasses
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup
1/4 cup blueberry agave nectar
1/4 cup strawberry agave nectar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 325°.
  2. In a large bowl, toss the oats, nuts, seeds, amaranth, coconut, cocoa powder, and wheat germ.
  3. In a small bowl mix the pumpkin spice, pumpkin, cinnamon, maple syrup, agave, molasses, oil.
  4. Stir wet into dry and mix through, then spread on a large rimmed baking sheet.
  5. Bake the granola in the center of the oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until nearly dry.
  6. Let the granola cool and mix in raisins and chocolate chips.



Recycled pic- the new granola looks about the same. See, told you I wasn't feeling it :-).

Here's to getting back in the mood (and over a case of the Mondays)-
Allie