The Connection Runners

HELLO my name is...

Hi Blog-o-sphere! My name is Allie and I'm a 24 year old medical student striving to live a healthy lifestyle while studying to become the best doctor I can be. I've been reading blogs for awhile now and I'm such a huge fan of them I decided to throw my 2 cents into the pot and start my own! I'm very excited about this decision, I am so impressed by the amazing people who are a part of the food/healthy blogging community. I get a great deal of my recipes, healthy tips, and overall lifestyle ideas from blogs like katheats.com, ohsheglows.com, livelaugheat.com, and loveveggiesandyoga.com and could only hope to contribute something in the way of health information to the web community.

Although I am NOT yet a doctor, I am very interesting in sharing my interest in diet, exercise, and overall well-being with others as I feel like a lot (read: most) of the general population struggles with obesity, disordered eating, or lack of knowledge about ideal weight and lifestyle choices. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with my blog yet, however I know I will touch on my own personal experiences with cooking/baking, exercise, balancing work with play, etc.

Me in my white coat- excuse the iPhone quality

Some of you may be thinking--Why "The Nutty FlexitALLIEan?"

Well, each part of the title has it's own meaning(s).

Nutty covers my love for nuts/nut butters/healthy fats, my "health nut" status, and the term my husband uses when I'm in one of my female moods (I believe he calls me "nutty nuts!")

FlexitALLIEan touches on my lifestyle of "flexitarianism." I strive to eat a balanced vegetarian diet but sometimes slip and have some meat (a piece of chicken or slice of turkey here and there, fish when dining out). I chose "flexitarianism" because I find when I've restricted eating in the past I've ended up overeating the foods I've refused myself, and end up feeling overall crappy. I also tend towards perfectionism, and am working in all aspects of life to become more flexible (thus the second meaning to the title!). I put ALLIE in the title because a. it's my name; and b. my lifestyle is totally personal to me. I do not recommend to you or any of my patients that they live the way I do! I just like sharing things about myself and my attempts to be healthy (who doesn't?)

10 Quick facts about me:
1. I'm recently married

2. I'm in my 3rd year of medical school- only 1.5 years to go!

3. I'm interested in Psychiatry, Pediatrics, and Women's Health. But I am trying to keep an open mind in regards to specialties!

4. I'd like to consider myself a "runner." One day I hope to run a marathon. One day...

5. I'm an East Coast girl all the way!

6. I'm a bit of a shopping addict- especially food, dress, and shoe shopping.

7. I frequent Trader Joes, the local co-op, Whole Foods, and even Giant Eagle (see above shopping addiction)

8. I'm a HUGE proponent of sneaking veggies into dishes (read: zucchini chocolate chip bread, spinach and berry smoothies, squash "fries")

9. I'm a recovering sugar addict

10. I'm sort of a TV addict- particularly GLEE! (sorry I had to put that in there I love that show so much:-) ).

(yes, I guess I have a lot of vices)

Me and the hubs

Question of the day: Are you a vegan, vegetarian, flexitarian, or carnivore?

Health tip of the day: Every woman over the age of 21 (or sexually active for 3 years, whichever comes first) should get a pap smear every other year until the age of 30. After age 30 (and 3 normal paps) it's every 3 years. These guidelines should be followed even if you've had the HPV Gardasil vaccine!

Hope you enjoy the blog to come! I may post later tonight about my eats and such. Can't wait to meet everyone :-)

Much love (and anticipation),
Allie