The Connection Runners

A Good Kick in the Butt

The last seven or so days represents a solid week with zero running, biking, or swimming (let's be honest here, I haven't swam in a month anyway). The hubs and I both have been lethargic lately; he due to a work-league soccer mishap (5 weeks of rest) and multiple work-related trips, me just because I felt like taking a week off. I also met him in Vegas last week on the tail-end of the most recent work outing, and 100+ degree temps combined with the ability to lay out at the pool and/or have a drink for cheap just about anywhere isn't exactly conducive to running.

Plus, perhaps to due the Michigan heat, I've been wrestling with my abilities lately. I wrote a lengthy post on the idea that running is 60/40, but even after that I've found myself psyching my feet and my mind out.

Yesterday's return to the streets was no different. I ran with Kevin for once, who was taking it easy being it the first day back on the road. Though we kept a fairly steady pace in the mid 9's, I was still dog tired and bent out of shape by the end of the three miles.

I fear I'm still burned out by a) the marathon, which was months and months ago; and b) my intense need to beat previous times and set PRs this year (case in point: half marathon PR --> must run sub-two hours @ Detroit on 10/17). I've always said that running is just me vs. myself, but at this point that battle seems to be taking over and I've forgotten how to just run.

And then, when I checked my email later, I got my Runner's World "kick in the butt" email. Each daily message has a quotable piece of inspiration. Yesterday's kick in the butt was this:

"Don't be concerned with what you can't do. Work on what you can do - then count your blessings. "

-Alan Robinson, 56-year-old partially paralyzed marathon runner

Best kick in the butt ever, and it applies to so many situations and experiences, not just running. It reminds me that I can run, even if I can't always kill it on a short run or hit a certain pace. The theme of that quote is why I run, why I started this blog in the first place: to be perfectly happy being an average runner who can.

Today's Point Two: If you haven't already, sign up for free daily kicks in the butt at Runner's World Kicks in the Butt. Your butt and your motivation will thank you.