The Connection Runners

Bring it on, Michigan

Running outdoors during a Michigan summer is a lot like holding a 5-year-old's hand so they don't get hit in the parking lots - sweaty, sticky, and a bit awkward. And it appears that this summer has hit already - bye, bye calm, crisp spring days. I liked you while you visited for what felt like two minutes.

Ahh, yes, the heat is on like Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop. Temperatures for the last few weeks have teetered between the upper 70's and upper 80's with no signs of doing much else. Though I can't complain much - we've had plenty of sunshine to enjoy, too - the heat and humidity that encapsulates Michigan can become nearly unbearable for average summer athletes like myself.

Last night, for instance, after a TWO HOUR nap (god I'm lazy), I finally laced up and headed out for a five miler. Despite appearing deceptively cool, the 73ish temps outside really felt like 90. The humidity was thick, and the minimal breeze felt more like a slight slap in the face from Mother Nature. Man, she's a bitch.

It was a long, sweaty run, one where I desperately wished for tighter abs and a nice firm bum so I could get away with a sports bra and snug booty-hugging shorts. Still, as I constantly reminded myself that the coming months wouldn't bring much cooler weather, I managed to keep a 9:45 pace for the run. Not bad considering I wanted to throw in the towel at 2.5 miles.

However, I suppose hot weather is better than the alternative (snow, sleet, ice, sub-zero temps, oh my!). I'd much rather sweat my way through a million miles than run a single one in the snow. Plus, we have many an event on tap for the summer. Next up is a practice tri at Kensington this Sunday before the real thing goes down on 6/20. We'll be off for a bit after that, as the Tuuri 5 & 10k races aren't until the end of July.

So bring it on, Michigan. Me and my average feet will be waiting.

Today's Point Two: I've been getting into some Peter Bjorn and John lately (Album: Writer's Block). Like most things to be exported out of Sweden, these dudes are awesome. "Objects of My Affection" has a smashing build up and great tempo. "Young Folks" is a delightful, upbeat tune with whistling (who doesn't love a good whistle?) "Up Against the Wall" is a little indie gem that jump starts my runs and makes me want to shop at American Apparel with a fair-trade coffee in hand.