The Connection Runners

A Day Off

As I write this, I'm literally camped out on the couch, snuggled under a blanket, sporting a Bell's t-shirt while scarfing down tortilla chips and Diet Coke.

I think my body's telling me something: "You need a break!"

Despite the yearning I have to get out and do something active as the weather's totally prime for such activities, my mind says otherwise. Specifically, it's telling me to continue eating these tasty chips and to completely disregard what they might eventually do to my thighs. And I'm (mostly) alright with that.

Because we all need a day off and this one's mine. I've put in some good workouts over the last few days; plus, work's been insanely draining. I gave the same lecture three times today and by fifth hour, I'm pretty sure all that came out of my mouth was mindless dribble and diarrhea (sorry for the visual). My kids must think I'm losing it... whatev.

Still, even as I placate myself for being a lazy fool, I know I've got to step it up a little. I've got my fourth and final 5k of the season in two weeks, and I really want to PR. From what I've heard, tortilla chips and DC do little for a PR, so I plan on getting my run on a little harder than usual next week.

The triathlon is about 6 weeks out and although I'm still wary of drowning in the lake, I'm started to get excited about completing it. Swimming has been going much better (up to 500 meters now, wooo!) and the muscle definition and increased lung capacity alone have been worth the struggle. I just hope I don't get stuck in my wet suit!

Today's Point Two: "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. Love the duet, the storytelling, the vintage, watery sound. Great buildup and beat. Good mid-tempo for running or cool down.