The Connection Runners

Run!

I figured that it’s time to write something about running, since I haven’t done that in a while and I have the time to do so now.

Next month I’m running my first race of the season, the Fruita 50. By this time last year I had already ran a trail marathon, Salida’s A Run Through Time. It was a great way to kick off the running season, but I felt completely out of shape on that run and I think it was the first time that I actually felt like I wasn’t going to finish a race. I didn’t run it this year, but I’m starting to wonder if maybe I should have.

Lately, when I’ve been out on the trail I’ve really enjoyed the runs, but I’ve been having trouble getting motivated to get outside. One thing that always gets me motivated is a race. Not that I’m a contender for any of the races (people seem to be running these races faster than ever before, don’t they?), but having an event gets me on the trail and excited to be there.

I remember after last years first run of the year, I felt terrible. It was the slowest marathon time I’d ever done and everything hurt. I think some of it had to do with what I was wearing on my feet but also the circumstances of the run. Earlier that month, I bought a new pair of trail shoes that I didn’t realize were too narrow until I was 18 miles into the race. Additionally, on the way down to Salida, I remembered that I didn’t have a good pair of socks with me (I really don’t know what I was thinking), so I stopped at a Sports Authority and bought a pair of socks that I hadn’t ever used before and never will again (at least for longer runs). At the end of the run, I lost 3 toenails and my feet were tender for at least two weeks. Lesson #1: only race in equipment that you have used before and feel comfortable with.

The second thing that I felt really slowed me down was the altitude. I wanted to run a tough race at a higher altitude and this run definitely met my expectations. The first half of the marathon felt like it was straight up into the mountains. I couldn’t find an elevation profile online to tag it, but I’m pretty certain that it isn’t nearly as bad as I imagined. Lesson #2: train in similar terrain that you will be racing.

So that being the case, I’m been going through different shoe/hydration/food/layers combos in an attempt to get ready for this year. Although it should be easy to find gear that works (no one else seems to be bitching about it) I’ve been having trouble.

My first problem is hydration – I don’t know what to use. On my shorter runs I like to just carry a water bottle (also, if you happened to pick up a red water bottle with a yellow top on Gregory Canyon, please let me know), which seems to work fine for shorter runs. But if I’m going out for a run that is over two hours, I like to carry more water than the 16 oz water bottles. This means, I’ve resorted to my Camelbak, which I HATE running with. Don’t get me wrong. It’s great for hiking, biking (mountain biking because roadies will make fun of you for that), it just isn’t good for running. I woke up this morning to discover that my lower back is raw from my run yesterday. So what should I use? I’ve seen people with hydration belts and all sorts of things that make them look like they’re going to war. Are they worthwhile? Anyone?

My second problem is shoes. I don’t know where to even begin with this. It’s hard to find the right pair of shoes and some people don’t seem to have any problem at all. The problem is that when I’m at the store the shoes feel great and it is only after 20 miles or so that the problems become evident. For instance, the shoes I mentioned above. I think they’re great shoes, but only for runs that are less than 15 miles. I have 5 or 6 pairs, but none of which can last all day. I’m toying around with the idea that I should start modifying the shoes to fit my preferences, but then again I wouldn’t know where to start and would probably end up messing up the shoes pretty royally.

My third problem is winter. There isn’t a whole lot I can do about this one. I’m just kinda sick of the snow (and the mud it causes on the trail when it melts). Most Coloradoans love the snow, at least when it is the mountains, but recently I just haven’t been into it. The ski season was pretty crappy this year and even though it is still going on, I think I’m done with it. My dislike of the snow has been fueled by the glorious days of sunshine and warm weather that have passed through these parts only to shattered by sudden storms that dump massive quantities of snow. There is nothing intrinsically terrible about this snow. I’m only complaining about it because it’s really slowing me down when it turns the trails to mud baths. And anyone that has been on the trails the last few days will tell you the same thing – there is an incredible amount of mud out there. Once again, there is nothing intrinsically upsetting about the mud either. In fact, lately, I’ve started to enjoy running through the mud. It’s just that maybe I’m ready for the mud to go away. This means, I’m ready for the snow to melt away and leave us with nice, dirty trails, warm days filled with sunshine, and those gorgeous Colorado spring days.

Anyway, I’m going to stop bitching. When it comes to my gear problems, I’m sure I’ll figure something out (although recommendations are always welcome). And weather…well…whatever. So long as I’m healthy and have enough time to get outside, I shouldn’t complain.

Happy Spring Break, to those of you who are currently on this a respite and happy running to the rest of you not-so-lucky-as-to-have-spring-break-individuals.