The Connection Runners

The positive side of an injury

This weekend was quite an eyeopener for me. For those of you that missed Fridays post, I was just diagnosed with a stress fracture in my ankle, so no running for 6 weeks.

I want to be very honest and admit something I'm not very proud of. Along with the heartbreak for missing the race I was also overwhelmed with the thought that I might gain weight. I have lost 120 pounds since last year through eating right and working out. Running was a type of security blanket for me.

When I was told no running, no walking, no swimming and no cycling I actually said, "I'm going to get fat," out loud to the nurse. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Honey you're obviously a very active person, there's no way YOU could get fat."

She obviously didn't know about my history of obesity. She saw a fit young women in front of her, and yet I knew the truth. I knew there was a point in my life where a setback like this would be an excuse to eat.

So whats different this time? People often make the comment that losing weight is the "easy" part, but maintaining was difficult. I'll admit, until last week I haven't worried about maintaining. You see, this has never been a "diet" for me. I truly did put lifestyle changes in place. There is no going back. I am a completely different person.

But for that split second sitting in the doctors office, doubts and fear set in. There was an evil little voice in my head laughing and saying I would undo all my hard work. That moment of weakness didn't last long.

This past weekend showed me that I truly am different. While I may have a valid excuse for sitting around I didn't enjoy it. Previously a weekend spent on the couch would have been ideal.

Guess what I found out this weekend? I don't like to sit around all the time. It's excruciating.My mind was constantly coming up with things for me to do. I WANTED to get out and be active. My body CRAVED movement. So thats what I gave it.

As I'm typing this and sipping on some hot tea I am reminded of how much I worked out this weekend. Each time I bring my mug to my lips my arms and shoulders protest.

Yes, I embraced my fear of strength training. By the time I come out of my 6 weeks of recovery I plan on having guns like Michelle Obama.

Even though I know the importance of strength training, it is something I have neglected. Cardio has always been my "go-to" workout. I'm taking this opportunity to broaden my horizons and try something new. And I'm confident I'll come out of this a stronger runner because of it.

I'm working on putting together a specific plan to follow. I have realized I'm a very goal oriented person. I like having something specific and concrete to work towards, it keeps me focused and motivated. Right now I have my 1/2 marathon training plan calender on my refrigerator. I am going to replace it with a strength training plan. There's something about checking off each day that gives me a feeling of accomplishment.

I worked on arms, abs, and shoulders this weekend. I also did straight leg raises. When I was in high school I tore my ACL playing tennis. I spent months in physical therapy rehabbing the knee. I remember spending an hour at a time doing straight leg raises over and over to keep the muscles in my legs active. The weighted boot on my left foot makes it an extra workout. And I found a weight to put on my right leg to keep it even. Killer quads here I come!

I'm still working on the cardio aspect. I'm looking on craigslist for a rowing machine and a punching bag. Boxing is a good way to get your heart rate up. I did a bit of that this weekend while holding weights. I'm also going to look over some Tae Bo dvds I have to see if they can be modified to fit my needs. If anyone has any other ideas, please share.

I did check with my YMCA and they do have a "hand cycle". Basically a stationary bike that you operate with your arms only. Pretty cool. Now I just have to see about getting my membership reactivated.

And now I'll share a "before" picture. I've never liked my arms. When you lose a lot of weight that is usually the place that has some extra skin. I'm looking forward to the day when I want to show off my new found muscles.

The positive side of an injury: This injury gives me the opportunity to step outside my comfort zone. I've always been a bit timid as far as strength training goes, but now I am embracing it wholeheartedly. This will help me grow as a person and as an athlete.

(And on a side note, I lost another pound bringing my grand total to a nice, round 120 pounds lost.Yippee)

I want to thank all of you for your support. I was overwhelmed by everyones well wishes on my last post. I am truly blessed.

Be sure to enter my RoadId giveaway.And keep checking back, my next giveaway will be announced on Wednesday.

What did you do this weekend to step outside of your comfort zone?