The Connection Runners

Cheat post

So my kiddo was sick (better now) and then we spent yesterday at Sea World (pictures coming soon), so I have been MIA. In lieu of an actual post today I am copying from an email I sent a friend this week. Hope she doesn't mind. :)

Her husband has taken the amazing first step of knowing he wants to make a change in his life. She had asked me what I had done to lose weight. Here is part of my response that can apply to anyone ready to make a change.

I'm so excited that he has started making positive changes. Like we had discussed before, deciding that YOU deserve to be healthy and feel good about yourself and making the commitment to change is often the hardest part. Walking is a wonderful way for him to start out. The benefits are mental as well as physical.

You had asked me what I was doing "diet" wise and I'd like to tell you a little about it. The first thing I decided was that this wasn't a "diet". That word has taken on such a negative connotation, it reminds me of all the times I tried to live off Slim-Fast and rice cakes. Yuck. :) As I implement new healthy habits I try to make sure they are ones I can maintain for the rest of my life. If its not sustainable, you won't succeed.

So I now try to treat my body right. I know it needs fruits, veggies, lean protein and whole grains. I still eat the foods I like, but have replaced the "bad" parts with better things. (Such as using spaghetti squash in place of noodles, yum) And like we had discussed, I don't completely eliminate any type of food. I just practice moderation. If I want to indulge in something sweet, then I make sure to balance it out the rest of the day with healthy foods and exercise.

Its funny how all the little changes add up. You start doing a few healthy things and then you notice how much better you feel. Once those positive results (on the physical AND mental side) start showing then you're even more motivated. And then, 9 months down the road, a little walking and drinking water has turned into a 105 pound weight loss. It's amazing how it progresses.

I'm obviously not any sort of health expert, I'm still working on my own journey, but if I can ever be of any help, just let me know.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend!