The Connection Runners

2012: The Comeback Season (?)

Remember when Farrah Fawcett died in 2009? No? That's probably because Michael Jackson passed away four days earlier, and the Pop Prince's death easily overshadowed the Charlie's Angel star's that summer.

Well, it seems that LBA is trying to avoid the MJ Effect by delaying her birth as long as possible since the Beyonce/Jay-Z babything that is Blue Ivy Carter arrived a few days ago. Such a pretentious little thing my child already is, wanting to make sure that ABC News, E!, and CNN will have freed up a couple of reporters for her own red-carpet arrival.

Translation: If you're on BabyWatch, I'm still pregnant. Yeah, I know my due date's not 'til Friday. But my numb left hip would greatly appreciate an early debut by Baby A.
In the meantime, 2012 Race Plans have been on my mind.

Making race plans also makes for good dinner-and-dessert fodder with blog buddies:

Stole this from Megan. Last night, we ate super delicious Buddy's Pizza (a Detroit original!) and then chowed down some Dairy Queen. Life is good.

Because one of my 2012 goals is not to optimistically overload my race schedule, I stuck to roughly one race per month with the exception of the spring months when the races are short and sweet.

March
Races: The Corktown 5k (3/11), Michigan State Shamrock 5k (3/17), Plymouth Shamrock 5k or 10k (3/18)
Goals: To reenter the racing world and enjoy the feeling of running in the always-chilly March Michigan air while wearing some ridiculous green getup despite not being a lick of Irish.

April
Races: Martian 10k (4/14)
Goals: Become more comfortable with the 10k distance, which has always been a hard race for me, and discover my true 10k race pace. The 10k is not short enough to sprint, but not long enough to settle into the zone.

I've never run the Martian, but I have made friends with a special summertime alien named Willis.
May
Races: This is a super tentative month, but I'm eyeing another local 5k, and the 5/3 River Bank Run (5/12). There's a 25k, 10k, and 5k option at 5/3; the 25k is enticing, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for a good 15.5-mile race quite yet.
Goals: I'll be in the core of training for RnR Seattle this month, so if I do actually race, I'll probably take it easy.

June
Races: the RnR Seattle 1/2 Marathon
Goals: Complete the 1/2 in 2:00-2:10. See the sights in Seattle with Kevin and have a superb blogger meet up. Survive cross-country travel with an infant.

July
Races: Not sure which one yet, but I'd love to do another sprint triathlon. Tri-Queen Erika gave me the lowdown on a few races, namely the T-Rex Tri (7/18) and the DanSkin Women's-Only Tri which is actually in early August.
Goals: Improve my swim time, a.k.a., be less afraid of open-water swims. Though I didn't drown during my first sprint tri swim, I was 10/12 in my age group coming out of the water.

August
Races: The Crim 10-Mile (8/25)
Goals: To PR and run a sub-1:30 race, something I've been wanting to do since 2010.
September
Races: None!
Goals: Training will be heavy for an October fall marathon...
October
Races: I'm currently debating three fall marathons: Grand Rapids (10/21), Detroit (10/21), or Marine Corps (10/28). Pretty sure NYC is off the table with such a big price tag. If I run MCM, I may do the Detroit Half as a fun taper race. I'd also love to visit my alma mater in October for its annual Campus Classic 5k and set a new 5k PR there.
Goals: Sub-24 5k and a 4:15 marathon while working full-time, being a mom, heading back to school part-time for a Master's degree. Hmm.

So, it's all laid out there. The key to making this a successful race season will be allowing the schedule to flex where needed. There may be times that I don't end up registering for one of the aforementioned races, or I don't meet a goal, and I'll have to be okay with all of that.

What's one 2012 race you're most looking forward to?
What's one thing you think you'll need for a successful 2012 racing season?