The Connection Runners

The Last Weekend of... Summer?

This weekend was the most beautiful one we've had in a long time! It was perfect because I needed to get in one long run before the half, which is... 5 days away. AGGH! But backing up,

Last weekend I ran a local 5K. In theory, I did it because The Great Race was sold out, but in retrospect it didn't really contribute anything to my training. The race started early Saturday morning, and it was nothing like this weekend. It was freezing!! The packet pickup was at a local bar, and the swag included a drawstring bag and a t-shirt, which is not bad for to $20 entry fee.

I wore pretty much the exact same thing I'd worn for the half, so I'll just recycle this picture and you can use your imagination:

The only difference was I rocked my new yellow skinny BIC Band, which has quickly become my favorite.
The race started a few blocks from my house so after I ate half a banana I jogged over to the starting line. It didn't seem like there were a lot of runners but when I checked the website afterwards there were over 700! I had a few minutes to stretch and then it was go time. I started off at a comfortable, fast pace, trying to stay within a comfortable/close distance from the front pack of runners. This is the way every race seems to go for me, I'm always behind the front pack and in front of the masses, essentially in my own little wolf pack... no?

The first mile and a half went pretty quickly, but once I crossed the second mile marker I started feeling sore. The problem was that when I looked up the course on the website, there was nothing showing which direction the race would go. The way I thought the course went it was mostly flat or downhill, but I had it completely backwards. The third mile started off with a little hill and I felt a little slow trying to tackle it, once I got to the top I just did my best to pace myself to the finish line. My final time was 20:56, which was a 6:45 pace. This is only the second 5K I've done, but this was my new PR! I was the 3rd female in my age group and 14th female overall out of 380. Pretty good for a spur of the moment race :).

Last weekend we mostly laid low, nothing much to report. This weekend the hubs and I went to get pictures taken for wedding cards/invites/etc. I also threw in a few head shots in my new spiffy suit which I got for interview season!

They came out really well! Also used a Groupon so we saved a ton of moulah!
Last night we had a little class fall party and I got to have fun with some of my friends.

Yes, we got photobombed again. Twice.

Today I went for a long run in the absolutely gorgeous weather, 10.5 miles in about 1:30. I felt really good so I'm hoping that bodes well for the half on Saturday. Tonight I decided on a whim to see 50/50, which was wonderful. It was the simplest movie, but it covered every type of emotion a movie could cover in a little over an hour and a half. Highly recommend it!

Hope you had a good weekend, who's running a race this month??