The Connection Runners

My story in Womens Health Magazine

I'm super excited to let you know that my weight loss story is featured in the November 2011 issue of Women's Health Magazine.

I was thrilled when Women's Health reached out to me. I am passionate about letting others know that overcoming obesity is possible, and they can do it by making simple lifestyle changes.

When I was 278 pounds and at rock bottom I was inundated with the message that at my size,surgery or pills were my only options.But after years of trying quick fixes and fad diets I was ready for more. I was ready to change my life for the better and I knew in my heart healthy lifestyle choices were the way to go.

I'm honored that my story is in the magazine, I hope it can show someone out there that THEY can break out of that prison called obesity. All they need is determination and faith in themselves.

The process involved a few phone interviews, numerous emails and calls to check facts, and then it was down to the pictures.

The pictures were taken in the middle of the summer, but with the article scheduled to come out in November, I was asked to dress for Fall. That was probably the thing that made me the most nervous. At one point they suggested a zip up jacket or similar. I laughed out loud when I read that email, thinking surely they were joking it was about 108 out at the time. I knew I wanted to show my RunningSkirts.com love so I compromised with a capri skirt. A pink Nike top, pink sparkly Active Band,and my super speedy and adorable Pearl iZUMi Steak IIs completed the ensemble.

With the outfit selected it was time for some makeup. I don't normally wear a lot of makeup so it was cool to have it done. I pretty much love my makeup artist, Christine Stafford at Mantis Salon in Austin. I had worked with her on a previous shoot this year and was so happy for a chance to catch up with her. Christine has an amazing weight loss story of her own and is just a sweetheart to be around. She makes me feel super comfortable and is definitely my 'go to' artist in Austin. She made me look polished but natural and despite the heat of the day, my make up stayed in place. Thank you Christine!

Women's Health assigned my photographer. I'll admit I checked out Kenny Brauner's online portfolio before the shoot. Seeing the level of his work, as well as the people he had photographed before made me a smidge nervous. I had no reason to be nervous though, we hit it off right away. He was super easy to chat with and a pleasure to be around.

photo credit:Kenny Braun

We held the shoot at Town Lake Trail here in Austin. Its a beautiful spot and one of my favorite places to run. It ended up being a beautiful day. I felt a little silly running the same 15 feet over and over, but Kenny put me at ease by letting me know I was doing a great job. I'm thankful I got to work with such an amazing photographer.

photo credit:Kenny Braun

The November issue of Womens Health Magazine is on stands now.