The Connection Runners

It’s a serious medical condition,look it up

I’ll admit, I’ve got “Hood to Coast Brain”. Not familiar with it, here is the scientific explanation:

Hood to Coast Brain: a condition that affects runners registered for Hood to Coast. Onset usually occurs two weeks to two months prior to race day. Symptoms include but aren’t limited to: extreme desire to run at 3am for ‘practice’, obsessive googling of “what to pack for a 200 mile relay”, packing and unpacking running clothes in gallon ziploc bags, and generally forgetting there is life outside of Hood to Coast. Some experts will tell you this condition is a myth, but only the ones that haven’t actually ran this event.

medical

So yeah, I’m a little focused on making sure I have everything set for the big day which is ONE WEEK FROM TODAY. And yes, I totally just shouted that.

Training this past week:

Sunday:12mile run

Tuesday: 6m:warmup 1m,5x800hills@7:00 downhill.uphill just make it up. (actually did 1.5mile warmup 4 hills then 1.5m cool down.I’m a rebel)

Thurs: Easy 3

Friday: 6miles. 3x1mile @8:40 (running it tonight)

My IT bands were absolutely destroyed after the hill workout Tuesday. I ran it on that kamikaze steep half mile hill that mimics my Hood to Coast elevation drop. The downhill's were fine but my knees were screaming on the uphill's. Luckily for me I had an ART appointment already scheduled for the following day. I went in hobbling and came out from my session ready to run. If you’re in the Austin area be sure to check out Dr. Z at Advanced Rehab, he’s amazing and has played a huge part in keeping me running this past month.

Weeks later and I’m still answering your questions, I blame it (and everything else I’m slacking in) on the HTC Brain. I’ll tackle one for today. Adam asked:

“would you rather be a fast runner - a consistent age group placer or be 100% injury free but be in the back of the pack?”

My gut response was “INJURY FREE!”, but I decided to take some time to think it over. Actually, this has been a topic of conversation over dinner a few times. From the outside looking in, I seem to be injury prone. While it is true I’ve had a decent amount of injuries, the fact of the matter is, I’ve only been running two years (this month). I still consider myself a new runner, a work in progress. I refuse to write myself off as “an injury prone runner” but instead look at myself as someone who is finding her way through trial and error.

Back to the question. I’m sure all runners dream of being “fast” and winning awards, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that was appealing. But, the longer I run, and the more I take part in the running community I realize that speed is relative. Fast for me is slow for others and the opposite is true. I don’t have aspirations to win awards, I don’t run for medals or trophies. I DO however want to see improvement (in all things speed/endurance/sustainability), enjoy running, be healthy, and do it relatively pain free. So my final answer is the same as my gut response: I’d rather be injury free and back of the pack. Running with no fear of injury? A girl can dream.

Did I mention that Hood to Coast is ONE WEEK FROM TODAY?!?!? Anyone else have a giant countdown clock over their head? If you want to hear all the sweaty details come race day the follow our team on Twitter @NuunPlatuun 

jessica_simpson_mom_jeans

On an entirely non-running related note: I need new jeans. What are your favorite jeans and where do you find them? Requirements: $100 or less, and while I don’t like super low rise jeans, they also can’t be Mom Jeans.

HAPPY FRIDAY!