The Connection Runners

Beating the Back to School Blues

I've got the blues.

Here, I'll let Albert King, an African-American blues singer who looks and sounds exactly like me, give you a little taste of the blues as he sings about the woman that left him.

Ok, so I'm just some white girl who knows really nothing about the blues at all, but I've got a mean case of the Back-to-School-Slash-Work Blues.

Today was the first official day back for teachers in my district which basically meant that I had to roll out of bed at 6:30 a.m. (gasp!), shower and look appropriate, attend a few meetings, and organize my classroom.

By the time I left work at 3:15, I managed to clean up my desk and write a huge To-Do List to tackle in my next two work days.

After a whole summer off, all of that business took a lot out of me. (Yet I still had time to come home, eat cheese & crackers, and catch up/comment on some blogs.)

But instead of lamenting too much in today's post because you'll get enough of that in the next 6 months, I'll spend some time reflecting on a few awesomesauce moments from this summer:

New Kids on the Block and the Backstreet Boys helped kicked off the summer and made me feel like I was 12 years old all over again.

I spent way too many hours finally reading the entire Harry Potter series (among other novels) and watching all of the films. Even though I was totally sad when I finished reading all 7 books, I still have Deathly Hallows Part Two to look forward to viewing.

Megan and I went on several running dates, ran a 10k race together, and made time to barbeque and attend a Detroit Bloggers Meet-up, even though she's been traveling like a madwoman this summer. (She just got back from running Hood to Coast - go say hi and congrats on her blog!)

Northern Michigan became a hotspot this summer, as it was the site of not one but two camping and canoeing trips.

Lots of preparations were made for the impending arrival of our baby girl. We've gathered nursery inspiration from around the web and cleaned out our (former) office to make way for all things baby.

Finally, smiles and happy feet abounded at the 2011 Crim 10-Mile Race, the third race I've run while pregnant. (p.s. thanks to everyone for all of the sweet comments on that post!)

Tell Me: What were some of your favorite moments from the summer? If you posted about them, link up in the comments!