The Connection Runners

Plymouth Farmers Market & A Saturday Splurge

One quick AW reminder: go over to yesterday's Q&A post and ask me a random question if you haven't already! I'll be answering all of the Q's with some A's on Monday.

***
This morning, after awaking from very late birthday celebration for Kevin's 28th last night, we met Megan and Ryan at a local farmers' market to pick up some fresh produce and other goodies.

I don't know about you, but I always feel so... domesticated... when I go to farmers' markets. You know, buying local goodies, watching people walk their dogs and push fancy baby strollers around, all while sipping on Starbucks in a small, posh downtown area.

(Let's be real here; I'm not really that domesticated. I just feel I am for about 35 minutes or so. Then I go back to picking my nose and burping.)

But really, I do heart the farmers' market. Everything looks so fresh and tasty; plus, it's often cheaper than it is in the grocery store and much better quality.

The Plymouth market is open every Saturday in the summer from 7:30-12:30. Vendors not only offer fresh produce, but also plants, herbs, baked goods, soaps, jerky/meat products, and jewelry.

We started off at a large produce tent. Look at all of those pretty colors!

But eventually meandered over to a huge baked goods vendor. I really wanted one of these pizza bread things, but I restrained somehow. (In high school I used to buy Mr. Baffo's Pizza Rolls from 7-11. They probably were full of Bad Things, but they were so tasty.)

However, a large display of muffins called out to us, and we each picked one out to take home. I plan on just eating the top of my muffin and giving the bottom to local homeless people, like Elaine in Seinfeld.

When we walked passed a large table of herbs, I couldn't help but to stick my nose in each one to smell them. Lemon thyme was the winner. Now, if I could just figure out how to cook with it...

Then, this kitty happened. Kevin really wanted to take him home, but the giant head of romaine lettuce we just bought Baxter might get jealous, so we passed.

And we stopped by the fountain in the middle of the park to take a few touristy photos.

Megan is a much better photographer than me.

Along the way, we dined on some tasty meat sticks (TWSS). I always say, "A couple that eats meat sticks together, stays together."

Our purchases: corn on the cob (3 for $1), romaine lettuce ($2/head), sweet cherries ($3/pint), zucchini and apple streusel muffins ($1.75/each), and red skin potatoes ($2.50). Not a bad lot!

After parting ways with the Ryan and the Megan, we stopped off at home to eat a quick lunch and watched some TV (a nap may or may not have happened), and then we had to make a trip to Best Buy for something the farmers market didn't carry.

A Canon T3 Rebel DSLR! We've been wanting to buy a DSLR for a while, and now that LBA's on the way, we figured now was as good a time as any to make the splurge. Plus, we had a bunch of Reward Zone certificates and coupons to begging to be used on an expensive camera that will surely make me somewhat gorgeous.

I'll post more about the camera deets later this week (as well as how we decided which one to buy!) once we become friends with the T3 and have it all set up.

But don't expect actual photography out of me. You know I'm too lazy to really try that hard.

Hope everyone's having a swell weekend!

Do you own a DSLR? Which one do you have? Was it worth the money, or do you prefer to point and shoot still?

What's your favorite kind of produce? Weird question, I know.