The Connection Runners

Attune Foods Review: Cereals & Grahams

A few weeks ago, Anne from Fannetastic Food gave me the opportunity to review some Attune Foods products.

Although I'm no food blogger, I do enjoy eating (mostly) healthy. I heard about Attune through many of the food bloggers who do know their meals, so I jumped at the chance to try some new products.

Before cashing in the coupons that Anne sent to me, I checked out the Attune website to learn about the company, their products, and where to purchase them. I liked the statement found on the About Us page: "Simple, pure ingredients that help you feel your best every day."

What's not to love about that? With so many choices in the grocery stores these days, and so many of those products containing ingredients I couldn't pronounce if I tried, it's always refreshing to find a company whose mission is to promote real, natural food, not sugar and artificial flavors.

I ended up trying three different Attune products: Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice with Berries Cereal, Uncle Sam Wild Strawberry Cereal, and New Morning Cinnamon Graham Crackers.

Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice & Berries

Although I don't follow a gluten-free diet, I though I'd give the Crispy Brown Rice cereal a try anyway. I always liked Rice Krispies as a kid, and the bright berries on the front of the box enticed me. A look at the ingredients list made me happy: a mere 8 items comprised the cereal, and I can pronounce every single one.

I poured myself a small bowl - the serving size is 1 cup - but sans milk because I don't drink it or even use it on cereal, and dug in.

Verdict: This cereal was light and crunchy; the berries provided a sweet burst of flavor without making breakfast too sweet. I liked the mix of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. It would make a super yummy topping on yogurt or even a bowl of fro-yo or ice cream, too.

Since there are only 120 calories in a service of Crispy Brown Rice, I'd probably have something else for breakfast with it - perhaps a handful of almonds, a yogurt, or extra fruit on the side.

Uncle Sam Wild Strawberry Cereal

Next up is the Uncle Sam cereal. Like the Erewhon cereal, Uncle Sam is made from ingredients I can recognize and pronounce. It's a little more calorically dense, but it does pack a good dose of fiber (8g per 3/4 cup serving) and protein (7g per serving). Now that's a hearty cereal.

As poured my bowl, I took note of the plump dried strawberries, crispy whole wheat berry flakes, and teeny flax seeds. I'm not usually a huge fan of the flavor of flax seeds, but they do provide a whole lot of extra nutrition.

Verdict: Despite my flax aversions, I really liked this cereal. Like the Erewhon, the addition of dried berries made the cereal sweet and tasty. The wheat flakes were nice and crunchy and had a bit of sweetness themselves. I think Uncle Sam would make a great granola alternative once in a while. The consistency was very similar.

New Morning Organic Cinnamon Grahams

If you know me, you know I'm a snack-a-holic. I probably eat more snacks in a day than I do regular meals. That's why I was most excited about tasting the graham crackers.

Like the other Attune products I tried out, New Morning Cinnamon Grahams have a lovely list of pronounceable and real ingredients. The serving size is similar to that of any other store-bought grahams - 2 full sheets for 130 calories.

Verdict: My grahamtastic expectations were met - and then some. These were really yummy graham crackers. You may be asking yourself, "How can they be that different from any other cracker, really?" Let me tell you: they were lighter and flakier than other graham crackers I've tried. And the cinnamon-sugar combo on top was perfect - not too much, not too little.

Overall, I had a great experience taste-testing Attune foods. Although the stores near me that did carry Attune products (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Meijer) didn't have a very wide selection, I was pleased to be able to find such a good, wholesome product in the area.

(Disclaimer: I was given the opportunity to review Attune products for free via manufacturer coupons from Anne. The opinions expressed in this review are strictly my own! I was not paid or compensated in any other way to post this review. Thanks!)