The Connection Runners

Reassessing What "Easy" Means

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and left me a super sweet "Congrats!" or "Hooray!" on Friday's Big (But Little For Now) Announcement (a.k.a, I'm totally pregnant).

Kevin and I are very excited to welcome a mini-us in mid to late January, but for now, we'll settle for discussing arguing over names, perusing furniture, and ogling crib sets (ok, that's me more than him).

One other thing I've been mulling over lately is the word EASY. In particular, this word has given me trouble when it comes to running.

What "easy" used to mean for me: 2-3 runs per week at an easy pace. Pre-pregnancy, easy pace for me during a short (3-4 mile) run = 9:00-9:15ish per mile.

What "easy" means these days: As I meander through Week 8 of being pregnant, I'm still trying to find the answer to this.

Case in point: I've been on several a few runs since the Kalamazoo Marathon (which I ran while about 4 weeks pregnant, but I'll get to that in another post), and each run has been surprisingly difficult. While I may feel like I'm running at an 8:30 or 8:45 pace, my Garmin tells me otherwise (usually in the upper 9's or even low 10's).

I might be huffing and puffing, but the pace just won't drop.

So I keep working to find my new Easy. I worked on it today while out on a running date with Megan, who thankfully asked if I wanted to meet up while I wallowed in a lack of motivation last week.

We covered 3.5 miles at a 10:03 pace. Not bad considering we faced a head wind on the 1.75 miles back to our cars and took a few walk breaks (more me because I got tired facing some of the hills).

For the most part, we stayed steady in the 9:30 - 10:00 range. I think this is a mostly comfortable pace, but I can tell that, already, it's getting tougher. I feel slightly winded at a mile in. It amazes me to think that, during marathon training, I would run 18-20 miles at the same pace!

So, it seems I'll just stay steady and hydrated until I can pinpoint a good system.

In the meantime, a few notes on the blog now that there's a baby on board:

  • This won't become a blog completely inundated with belly shots, morning sickness reports, and wacky cravings updates. While I totally get that some moms-to-be update on these things, and I totally read all about them, I don't plan on writing about these too much.
  • However, I will talk about the joys and pains of being pregnant occasionally, maybe even frequently, especially when it all relates to running and fitness. I'm really interested to see what my body does in the next 32 weeks, so I'll be documenting some of it here.
  • Once the Little One arrives, you can expect to see lots of photos and family updates, but I promise to stick to my original mission: to share my running experiences and triumphs and hardships with those who want to read about them. I don't plan on this becoming a mommy-type blog (although I do love reading those, too!), but I want to incorporate my newly formed family with my passion for running and racing.
I hope you all stick around and join me on what will surely be an interesting journey. :o)

On to the rest of the evening: laundry and a Red Box Movie! I love Red Box! Do you have them where you live?

Tonight's feature: Blue Valentine with the yum-tastic Ryan Gosling and adorable Michelle Williams. I've heard mixed reviews on it, but if it has Gosling, what can really go wrong?

P.S. Only 4 more work days until I'm FREE for summer!

P.P.S. What's the best movie you've rented or Red Boxed or Netflixed lately?