The Connection Runners

Crunch Time

In the past three days, I've accomplished a lot. I've made a permanent body imprint on my faux leather couch, housed almost an entire jar of Banana Peanut Butter, and watched every recorded episode of Sex and the City and How Do I Look? on my DVR. Yes, my DVR is about empty. So last night I decided to do something productive with myself... and baked. I made some banana PB cookies that were delicious in their own right, but something was missing...

(If you'd like the recipe, Print it Here)
The Crunch!
I'm sure that 90% of people prefer soft, gooey cookies. I am not 90% of people. I love crunchy, almost burnt cookies something fierce. So today I fulfilled my crunchy craving by baking my cookies... .twice.
Chocolate Chip Pecan Biscotti w/ Protein Option
Double baked for double the crunch.
(Based on Mama Pea's Cranberry Orange Biscotti)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
(Optional 1/2 scoop vanilla soy protein powder)
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup splenda
1 TBSP margarine (I used Earth Balance)
1 flax egg (1 TBSP flaxseed meal, 3 TBSP water) or 1 egg
1/2 tsp butter extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 TBSP soy milk
1 TBSP blackstrap molasses
pinch cinnamon
Mix in: 2 TBSP chocolate chips, 2 TBSP chopped pecans, 2 TBSP raisins

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease baking sheet. Mix flax egg (1 TBSP ground flax + 3 TBSP water) so it has time to set.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, and sugars into a large bowl.
3. Cut in margarine and mix until crumbly (I typically break margarine into small pieces and scatter into bowl, then mix).
4. Mix in flax egg, extracts, milk, and molasses. (Feel free to add milk by the TBSP if mixture is too dry).
5. Fold in chocolate chips, pecans, raisins (or mix-ins of your choice- nuts, seeds, cranberries, etc)
6. Mold batter into a large "log." (about 1/2 inch thick) Place on greased baking sheet.
7. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes/until browned.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool ~10 mins.
9. Cut log into slices (you know what biscotti looks like ;-) ) and turn each slice onto one side.
10. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
11. Remove, flip slices of biscotti, and bake again for 8-10 minutes.

Crunch attack success!

Do you prefer crunchy-baked or soft-baked cookies?