The Connection Runners

Impulsivity

Fact: I am impulsive. When I get an idea in my head, it's really hard to get it out. Whether it's an impromptu shopping trip, a spontaneous phone call, or a spur of the moment decision to run outside versus head to the gym, I am out the door sometimes before I stop to think. Usually my decisions are relatively harmless, and my latest impulsive thought (which I haven't acted on yet!) has been pretty benign--
to chop, or not to chop?
You see, I had long hair growing up, interspersed with a series of horrible haircuts, greasy bangs, a rainbow of highlights and lowlights, and a cowlick that just wouldn't quit. ~3 years ago, the day I met my husband (a mere hours before), I went to the local hair salon and made my dramatic (and impulsive) exclamation: "Cut it all off. Like Victoria Beckham."

Yeah.

Needless to say, whenever I didn't wear makeup I may have looked like a little boy. And I had to wear pigtails to the gym when I worked out. Impulsivity FAIL.

I spent the next few years growing out this unfortunate cut, and wouldn't let my current hairdresser even touch it with scissors until almost 2 years after the initial shearing. It's been long for awhile now, and I certainly love having long hair. But at this point A. my hair is EVERYwhere in the house/on my clothes/on the floor/clogging the drain B. I feel like I should buy stock in Herbal Essences conditioner (1 bottle per week!), C. It takes 5 years to blowdry. Really. D. It gets in the way ALL the time. E. It's has ceased growing and I'm pretty sure the last 6 inches or so are split ends. F. I start surgery in a few weeks. Surgery= scrub cap every day. Girl's hair doesn't fit under a scrub cap, mmkay?

So here's what I've been doing since I felt the itch last week:

Is this an important, pressing, life or death issue in my life? (As compared to the other issues, like applying to residency, figuring out my future, planning my "real" wedding next year... )
Not by any means. But is it taking up the procrastinating, impulsive space in my brain? You bet.
So what do you think? Mid length bob or bust?

Moving on (sorry I alienated the one possible male reader I have)--Here are some delicious muffins. Make them immediately and eat them. I would not call you impulsive as they are definitely worth it ;-).

Superfood Mango Protein Muffins

With big, juicy chunks of mango and pineapple, tons of protein, nutritious amazing grass superfood and a hint of spicy ginger- these may just be my new favorite muffins! Slather with butter (or mango butter) and enjoy for breakfast, a snack, or dessert!
Adapted from Baking With The Boys Mango Bread
Print This Recipe!
Ingredients:

Dry
1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 cups soy flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP brown sugar
1/3 cup splenda
1 packet Amazing Green Superfood Orange Dreamsicle (new flavor!)
1 tsp ea. cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and ginger

Wet
1 small container pineapple chobani Greek yogurt (or other yogurt)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 liquid egg whites (9 TBSP)
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp orange extract
1 TBSP TJ's Mango Butter (optional, but awesome!)

mix-ins
1.5 cups chopped mango ( I used TJ's Frozen, slightly defrosted)
3 TBSP chopped walnuts
2 TBSP raisins

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tins.
2. Mix dry ingredients (flour, spices, powders, sugars) in a large bowl.
3. Combine wet ingredients (applesauce, yogurt, extract, honey, mango butter) in a separate bowl.
4. Pour wet into dry, mix well. Fold in mangoes (chopped into small pieces), raisins, walnuts.
5. Empty batter into muffin tins. Bake at 350F for ~25 mins. Makes ~13 muffins (or 12 huge ones!).

These muffins are ~140 calories each, 1.5 g fat, 19 g carbs, 9.5 g protein, 9 g sugar.

Do you prefer short, medium, or long hair?

Are you impulsive or do you think things through?