The Connection Runners

Days of the New

The title of today's post does not, in fact, refer to that crappy rock band from the late 90's, but rather a series of (mostly) fun and new things to come my way this Tuesday.

Let's get down to business. First off, I had a blind date today! Well, it wasn't a real date, and not so much blind (ok, so I only "knew" the person from blog & Daily Mile stalking). I met up with Megan from Watch MeGo Run for an easy 4-miler down on Hines Drive. Although the weatherdudes were calling for thunderstorms, the afternoon held out, and we enjoyed mid-70s temps, sunshine, and the occasional 25 mph wind gust to keep us on our toes.

But before heading out on this running friend adventure, I had a run-in with a few other things that were (relatively) new to me:

Justin's Chocolate Almond Butter. Yummy! I spread some of this on a pita that was leftover from lunch. Love. It.

Then I headed to Hines for our run. My usual route was blocked off (Hines is often flooded after a big rain and thus parts of it are closed often), so I turned around to head another way. Unbeknownst to me, I was driving 40 mph in a 25-mph zone, so I was promptly pulled over by a local friendly police officer, who gave me another first of the day (at least it was the first I'd had in EIGHT years):

Fatty ticket for 5 over. At least he cut me a deal there, but the fine is still $115, plus I now have 2 lovely points on my license. Yikes!

Luckily, Megan was running a tad behind too, so by the time we met up, it was nearly 5. Confession: I was a bit nervous meeting a random stranger for a run, but I think it went alright. Turns out that my hubs and her boyfriend have worked together for several years (!) and I used to work with her brother at Best Buy years and years ago. Small world!

We did our 4 at a slow, easy pace since I'm tapering, and the miles passed surprisingly fast as we chatted, sweated, and battled the wind. Hopefully we'll make another date soon! Another new for today:

A local running friend. I'm totally Squinty McSquinterson in this photo, but Megan looks awesome!

The run lifted my spirits quite a bit after getting the old speeding ticket, and when I got home, I had yet another mood booster sitting on my doorstep from Running Warehouse:

New running threads! I'm fairly picky and budget-conscious cheap about what I wear out on the road, but I'm a huge fan of Nike running gear. Plus, Running Warehouse had some great deals. I got two shirts and a pair of shorts for $65. (Good thing, too, since I'll have to shell out $115 bones for my ticket. Gross.)

All in all, it was pretty darn good Tuesday.

Questions for You!
1) Do you have a running buddy? How did you meet?

2) What's the best deal you've gotten on running gear?

::in voice of Mike Meyers's Cawfee Tawk lady:: Now talk amongst yourselves...