The Connection Runners

Ahhh the runner (welcome to race week)

Ahhhh the runner. Alone on the road.

They set out, on their own, to be one with the road. No music,no talking, just the sound of their footfalls. They use this time as self therapy. They work out all their worries in their head. Or maybe they zone out completely and it's a time when their mind can take a break. Nothing to distract them, just miles ahead of them.

Ah the runner. Alone on the road.

Some of you probably identify with that. You ARE a lone wolf runner, you THRIVE on that as your "me" time. Running alone is a zen experience for you. It sounds lovely,and I'm happy for you.

But right now, that type of runner is as far away for me as the idea of ever BQing. It's just not who I am at the moment.

When I think of running I think of this:

and this:

I think of friendships forged over humid 10 milers. I think of hopes and dreams discussed out on the trail. I think of the shared excitement over reaching and exceeding goals. I think of the contentment found in supporting others.

At this point in my life I'm proud to call myself a social runner. MOST of my miles are ran with someone by my side. And ALL of those runs have ended with a smile.

Ah the runner, surrounded by friends.

Alone or together,there is beauty and peace in running.

Ah the runner.

Welcome to race week. 4 days until ZOOMA.