The Connection Runners

I Get Knocked Down (But I Get Up Again)

Sometimes you just get knocked out of the game. This week I literally, and figuratively, was down for the count.

A. Day 1 of my peds clerkship I hit my head on an overhead cabinet. Hard. Cabinets=3. Me = 0.
B. Days 2-7- Suffering post concussive syndrome. Game plan= make it through the work day 6 am- 4pm. Sleep. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

Needless to say, it was a frustrating week. I typically push myself a bit through injuries, but it just wasn't possible to do much outside of work and sleep. Boo.

Today- I sprung (ok crawled) out of bed, determined to resume normal activities. I started with my favorite Sunday meal:

BRUNCH.
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love vegetarian brunch- and today was no exception.
My friends and I hit up this place:
http://www.zenithpgh.com/

Here's the super cool dining room.

We were in for a treat. The place is a really cool antique shop/vegetarian cafe (two of my favorite things!).
The brunch consisted of a main entree, + unlimited coffee and tea, and buffet.

Options for entrees included:
Scrambled Eggs w/sundried tomatoes
Blueberry pancakes and syrup
French Toast w/ pear topping
Seitan w/ mushrooms and pasta

I got French Toast -which was more like 2 pieces of wheat bread toasted and topped w/ honey and chopped pears. Unfortunately I'm not a honey person so I wasn't a fan- but the buffet more than made up for it.

Buffet options (my tastes in bold)

Fruit salad
Baguette
Black olive hummus
Pasta salad w/ tomato and green pepper
2 other pasta salads
Coconut rice w/ fruit
Potato Salad
Oil rubbed veggie salad
Maple Pecan Bundt Cake
Vanilla Choc Chip Bundt Cake
Coconut Bundt Cake
Almond Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

Everyone agreed the food and atmosphere were awesome! Next time I'll take pics- iPhone quality isn't so great. (If Santa wanted to get me a nicer camera that would be great ;-) ).

After brunch and digestion, I hit up the gym for the first time since TUESDAY. I know- this killed me.

My workout more than made up for it. I did:
The Workout that Cures Exercise Induced ADD x 2 (once with Gillian- hope you're sore tomorrow;-))
Pilates w/ Gillian
Yoga

I led the exercises myself- I prefer to do more active Yoga + Pilates (i.e. repetitions vs stagnant poses). Overall I spent almost 2 hours at the gym- and could feel myself (slowly) returning to normal.

And then I got home and turned on the kitchen light for the first time in almost a week- I could practically hear the oven crying..

First thing's first. Dinner:

Yummy Tofu Scramble- super easy. Add ingredients to crumbled tofu, stir on medium heat for 5ish minutes, add veggies (I used spinach today) and/or beans (I didn't have any), toss for a few extra minutes, and serve.

I added parm and ketchup to mine. Mmmm

Then I broke out the mixing cups and bowls and made one of my favorite breakfast foods-
Fruity Breakfast Pizza!

This week's flave was huckleberry with banana, pecan, dark choc chips, and raisins.

It was still missing something..

PB in a plastic bag= perfect piping instrument.

Finished product

Unfortunately- my PB was running seriously low so this is as far as I got. Oh well- a little PB is better than no PB :-).

And I'm Back! (sorta)


Allie