The Connection Runners

Is "Healthy" Taboo?

Today I was going about my business, eating a boatload of veggies for lunch (with tofu and chickpeas for protein)

With Greek yogurt and granola on the side, and someone made a comment that made me cringe:

"Well isn't that a disgustingly healthy lunch"

I immediately felt the urge to explain my choice.

"I want to fit in my Halloween costume tomorrow."
"I haven't eaten any veggies this week."
"I'm fighting a cold and need the vitamins."

But I stopped and thought about my reaction--why should I apologize for my food choices? And why did this person feel the need to comment on it? Was it because they were guilty about their own food choices? Or is being "healthy" really a taboo subject?

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I've had people become offended when I mention I'm trying to be a vegetarian, vehemently pledging their love for all things meat, even rubbing it in my face. I've never once craved a hamburger, a hot dog, roast beef, or steak. It only seems natural to steer away from meat, as that's my normal tendency anyway. I've been laughed at for ordering salads at less than kosher establishments; I've been given a hard time for skipping the cake at a number of birthday parties. I incorporate treats into my diet on a daily basis, and I've always tried to hold out for the treats that are "worth it." To me, those are the goodies that are well made, with natural ingredients and limited sugar and salt. There definitely have been times when I've recognized I'm being too restrictive with my food options, but in general I eat the way I do because it makes me feel good. Eating crap makes me feel like crap!

I've been a healthy eater for a long time now I, and don't have too many regrets about the foods I'm "missing."
Case en pointe...

Delicious!
This kind of thing also happens to me a lot when I talk about exercise. Comments about it being boring, a waste of time, etc. I'm a firm believer in the power (mental, physical, and emotional) of exercise- and it's one habit I'll never give up. Come work out with me for a day and I'll show you what you're missing :-P.

What about you? Do you have convictions about your eating/exercise style or do you feel guilty when you swing to one extreme or another (healthy vs. unhealthy)? Is being healthy really taboo?

Just some (healthy) food for thought.

-Allie