The Connection Runners

FALL= Food, Friends, Fun!

This weekend was one of those perfect fall weekends, filled with tons of seasonal fun!

Another thing I like about fall- It's hat season :o)

First hat of the fall

Starting with Friday, I went to happy hour with a group for a friend's birthday. I enjoyed some pumpkin beer (no secret that's my favorite) and conversation with some awesome people.

The birthday boy

We relocated to another friend's house for snacks and more celebration!

Then Saturday came- my first football TAILGATE of the season!

SOOoo fun! As for food, I started the day with a pumpkin egg white bagel from Einstein Bros, and munched on some chips and a banana throughout the morning. Not the best, but I was saving up belly space for OktoBIERfest at a friend's house last night.

The menu? Homemade Butternut Squash macaroni n cheese, beef stew, homemade mini pretzels, and apple crisp. Delicious! I brought pumpkin brownies

I think they were well received :-).

Then we relocated to a local bar for spiced/spiked hot apple cider. It was unseasonably warm, so we had a great time sitting outside and catching up on things.

Today my hubs and I tried out two new places in the area, EatUnique, a cute cafe with lots of healthy and vegetarian menu options. I got a half sandwich/half salad; the sandwich was a Sweet Bean Hummus sandwich on whole wheat with cheddar, veggies, and craisins. It was tasty :-). Then we hit up a place I've been DYING to try...

My VERY FIRST self serve frozen yogurt experience. I could hardly contain myself...

The soft serve: pumpkin, french vanilla, double chocolate, and cake batter
The toppings: strawberries, mango, raspberries, brownie pieces, M&Ms, oreos, sprinkles, butterfinger.

I also sampled the other flavors: raspberry, taro, original, mango, watermelon, green tea, cheesecake.

This stuff was AMAzing. The only flavor I didn't like was the taro, which tasted like butter to me. That sure won't keep me from returning though ;-).

Tonight I was inspired by the sweet bean hummus sandwich and set out to make my own hummus (something I've been wanting to do forever. Here's what I worked with:

Homemade Touch o Pumpkin Hummus
Ingredients:
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 TBSP pumpkin puree
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp ginger
2 TBSP grapeseed oil

Directions:
Pour all ingredients into blender/food processor (I used my Ninja Master). Pulse until mixed thoroughly. You may have to stop to scrape the sides a few times. Serve with veggies, pita, on a sandwich, etc. I used the hummus to make my own sandwich- a hummus, muenster cheese, and tofu sandwich on toasted multigrain bread.

I topped off my weekend with a 7 mile run and some Sunday night TV- Dexter and Eastbound and Down. Hope you had a great weekend!

-Allie