The Connection Runners

Cookies Can't Fix Everything... In Loving Memory

I found out today that a close family friend passed away. It was sudden, unexpected, and heartbreaking. It really made me reconsider how precious life is, and how I should cherish every moment I have with my friends, family, and husband.

love you Kath!

Miss you guys!

Post wedding "reception"

I love my husband!

Awesome impromptu bachelorette party!

Grandparents and I on our wedding day

When something like this happens, it's difficult to know what to do. I know that I have responsibilities as a medical student, as a friend, and as a wife... and it's hard when those responsibilities don't see eye-to-eye. I'm here in the apartment with my thoughts, and my husband is heading home to give our condolences. I wish I could've gone with him, but the thought of trying to negotiate exam schedules and make ups (which likely aren't possible) is pretty inapproachable.
I walked around in a stupor most of the day, trying to make a good impression on my first day at a new clinic, but thinking I should be doing something. I got home and my immediate impulse was to bake


Remembrance Cookies (based on OSG Chunky PB Cookies)

  • 1 1/8 cup spelt flour
  • 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1.5 TBSP chunky peanut butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla stevia
  • 1/4 cup maple agave syrup
  • 3.5 tbsp smart balance omega oil
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mix dry ingredients into one bowl (flour, salt, sugar, baking soda+ powder), mix wet into another bowl (PB, stevia/vanilla, syrup, oil).
3. Pour wet into dry and mix (you may have to use your hands)
4. Fold in chocolate chips
5. Mold dough into cookie shapes (mine made ~12 cookies)
6. Bake for ~11-12 minutes until slightly brown.
7. Enjoy with a prayer for a lost loved one.

I sent these cookies home with my husband with the thought:

These won't fix what has happened.

Life isn't all about smiles, and chocolate chips can't fix heartache. Time heals all wounds and if someone can spend even 5 seconds of time enjoying these cookies then that is one step towards healing.

My prayers are with the family and I hope you know I'm thinking about you in this incredibly difficult time.

Go hug a loved one,
Allie