The Connection Runners

Gooey Double Dark Chocolate Fudge Nut Brownies, and Thoughts on "Healthy Burnout"

Girl had a chocolate craving today that could not be satisfied by the usual tactics. Speficially, I wanted a brownie so bad, and wasn't willing to settle for a store bought-half decent-calorie laden model. Now, I have been searching high and low for a gooey (and healthy) vegetarian brownie recipe for the longest time... and I think I was able to modify one and find a winner! I adapted this recipe from Mama Pea's Double Fudge, Single Chin Brownies and am really happy with the results.

NOTE: It is incredibly difficult to make dark chocolate brownies look delicious- and I doubt any of you would be jumping to eat these brownies at first sight--but trust me, they are SO GOOD!

Double Dark Chocolate Fudge Nut Brownies
3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. dark cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. kosher salt
3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 TBSP sugar free maple syrup (or can use pure)
2 TBSP organic pumpkin puree
2 TBSP natural peanut butter
2 TBSP chopped pecans
1/3 c.mix Stevia and Splenda baking mix
1 t. vanilla (I used 1 t NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops)
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
splash of unsweetened soy milk

The first time I made these brownies I didn't use pumpkin, PB, maple syrup, or stevia. I really think it made a HUGE difference in moisture content by adding these in. I love me some fudgy brownies!

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl; combine applesauce, pumpkin, PB, syrup, sugar, vanilla, and soy milk in another bowl.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips (and pecans/walnuts/peanuts/or no nuts).
4. Grease a baking pan- I actually used the dish I typically make breads in so I baked for a little longer.
5. Pour/scrape batter into pan (it's thick!) and spread evenly.
6. Bake at 350 for ~30 minutes- check every 3-4 minutes after 20 minutes until a toothpick comes clean.
7. DEVOUR (but not too many!)

The Finished Product -- told you they're not pretty ;-)

On another note- I'm having the hardest time exercising/eating healthy since the race on Sunday. Monday my legs were the sorest they've ever been, yesterday I was incredibly lethargic and did a tiny bit of yoga, and today I'm feeling the onset of a virus (praying it doesn't become full blown- but that's what happens when you're working in an acute care pediatrics office!). I'm wondering if it's best to rest and hydrate or push through and get a little exercise in today (?). I hate falling off the healthy wagon- I'm trying to eat my veggies and protein but all I'm wanting is chips and chocolate. I hope I didn't hit a healthy burnout (!). Anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

P.S- thanks so much for checking out my blog posts- drop me a comment so I know you're paying attention :-).

Have a great night! And seriously try these brownies- you won't be disappointed.