The Connection Runners

A Runner's Top Ten: Music for the Feet

As I lie in bed on a hot, humid Michigan evening (it's 10:46, 79 degrees, and 83% humidity), the fan is circulating in our attic-based bedroom and I start to truly believe that there's just one thing in the world that truly keeps me running on days like these: music.

If you've ever read a post of mine before, you'll know that several of the "Today's Point Two" entires list a song or two from my current iPod playlist that really get my gears cranking. As I ran in the heat today and shuffled through them all, I thought I'd share with the 3 or 4 of you readers (ha!) a full blown "Today's Point Two Ultimate Running Playlist." Enjoy!

1) "Vanilla Sky" - The Chemical Brothers & Beth Orton: love this nearly 7-minute tune for the opening few moments - makes me feel alive and awake. good anytime in a run, but I especially love it right when I'm taking off.
2) "The Battle of One" - 30 Seconds to Mars: if this doesn't pump you up, I don't know what will. Particularly useful just before the gun goes off or when one needs to pass another runner in an annoying adorable running outfit (I'm talking to you, running skirts!)
3) "Don't Let Me Fall" - B.o.B. : one of my favorite artists this summer. This song's got a nice even keel tempo perfect for setting a pace on an easy run,
4) "Holiday" - Vampire Weekend: cutesy, fun upbeat track from a band that always makes me feel like I'm on a tropical island rocking out.
5) "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service: gotta love airy techno beats mixed with emo singing. The lyrics get my mind to a different place while the quick tempo keeps my feet moving.
6) "Object of My Affection" - Peter Bjorn & John: love, love, love the opening chords of this. nice mid-tempo for any pace.
7) "Monkey Wrench" - Foo Fighters: old-school Foo is the best. The whole song is great, but a guitar-solo/breakout jam near the middle really helps me kick it into high gear.
8) "Lovers in Japan" - Coldplay: my hubs would argue that all Coldplay songs are dark, stoic, and depressing, but this one breaks that mold. Best lyric? "Lovers, keep on the road you're on / runners, until the race is run / soldiers, you've got to soldier on"
9) "California Waiting" - Kings of Leon: This is one of many KOL songs that grace my iPod, but the easy feeling of this one always makes me smile and it's got a good beat to boot.
10) "Breathe Me" - Sia: slow, gorgeous, decompressing song that I first fell in love with while watching the series finale of the amazingly awesome HBO drama "Six Feet Under." Not for hard-pacing, quick-stepping action, but I love it after a long run or during a solid stretching session.

Hope some of these "Point Two" songs find their way onto your Pods. Happy running and rocking out.

Today's Point Two: hopefully you've had enough. but if not, leave your own "ultimate playlist" suggestions in the comments... I never turn down a hot new running song!