The Connection Runners

WATER IS A GIRLS BEST FRIEND

I have been a bit remiss in my health blogging duties. I have started telling you about the output (exercise) part of my journey, but not the input (food). So I guess I'll start with the most basic thing.

Water. So simple, but so effective. I started focusing on keeping track of my water intake and on getting in at least 8 glasses a day. I drink much more than that now. I have to admit I have googled "How much water is TOO much?" more than once recently. That led me to a few interesting articles on water intoxication. It also made me realize I worry about the silliest things. But that's another story.

It is amazing how much better I felt doing something as simple as drinking enough water. That's probably one of the easiest things you can do to lose weight. In the beginning I would mark off how much I drank each day. It helps to have a visual of your progress. It will soon become a habit and you won't even have to think about it.

Now... I have a confession to make. Before I started trying to lose weight I drank ONLY bottled water.

Horrible on so many levels, I know. Not only was it an expensive habit, but it was also one that was bad for the environment. I'm happy to say I've changed my ways. I now carry around a refillable water bottle with me. For the last few months I have been using the Camelbak pictured below.

It is a BPA free bottle that has some great features. First off it actually fits in the cup holder on my jogging stroller. For some reason most bottles don't so that was a huge plus. Also, I like that I can hook it on my diaper bag or backpack. But the thing I like most about it (besides the color), is what Camelbak calls the "bite valve". You bite on the spout and sip to make the water come out. Call me lazy but I seem to drink more when I don't have to tip the bottle up.

If you're having a hard time getting in enough water then you should definitely invest in a nice bottle that fits your lifestyle. Unfortunately my handy dandy purple bottle is coming to the end of it's lifespan and it's time for me to replace it. I'm thinking about going with stainless steel this time.

What kind of water bottle do you use? I'd love to hear others opinions on ones they like or tried and disliked.

Quick update on my race training. I'm not sure if I should be running every day or every other day. Those of you out there with more experience (Syl@live,run,smile and Jen@priorfatgirl come to mind), what do you think?

I wasn't sure so I decided to have an easy night tonight. It was pretty late by the time I decided to go. Charles didn't want me to run by myself in the dark so he and the kiddo joined me again. We walked about 3/4 miles to warm up and then ran 1 mile straight. I ran the mile in 8 minutes flat. Which I guess isn't fast, but isn't too slow either for a beginner.

I was happy with it since I didn't feel tired afterwards. I think I can probably run further than my brain tells me I can. So the plan is to take tomorrow off and then try to run 2 miles straight on Friday. On my "rest" days I will work on upper body and/or play tennis.

That was us after completing tonights run. Did anyone notice the headband on my son? That is one of my soft, stretchy headbands. Ever since we watched the US Open (tennis) where a lot of the guys wore sweatbands, he has started putting on that headband before he goes to "workout". Isn't that hilarious?

Yep, I think my son pulls off the sweatband look much better than Federer does.